b

i walk in the door, setting my bag down lightly. i walk up to the kitchen to grab an apple, a drink, and to see if my mother was still home. i see her on the porch, smoking her usual camel. i heave a sigh and walk to my room, waiting for her to frantically wash her hands and greet me. my dad is still at work, like always. he never has enough time for us, but he pays the bills with my mother pitching in here and there. 

hey, how was your day at school today?  she signs, stepping into my room.

good! i met a really nice kid! he lives next door. i sign back with a smile on my face. 

that's wonderful! we're having dinner with your father's boss tonight, so get dressed soon.

i just smile and nod, waiting for her to shut my door and leave. i roll my eyes and sigh, standing to pick out my dress. i choose a maroon sweater-dress with booties and tights. 

my father's boss is mr. park, a.k.a asshole. that man has said so many awful things to me just so he could prove to himself that i am 'truly deaf'. my mother still insists on me treating him with respect. i could never rightfully respect anything about that man. 

nevertheless, i shuffle into the bathroom to make myself look presentable. whenever we've had dinner with him in the past, it was only him and his wife. the way that man disrespects her infuriates me, but she loves him still. 

i emerge to see my father sitting on the couch with mr. park, sipping a glass of scotch. 

"ah, the daughter emerges!" mr. park says, motioning towards the couch that is hidden from my view. i walk out and see jimin, beaming up at me. i can feel my face heating up as i wave to him and sit down. 

hello, how are you? jimin signs to me.

i'm good, how are you? i answer, smiling at his effort. 

we sit there for a minute, waiting for something to do. after it getting awkward between our parents, i just grab his hand and lead him to my room. 

"sorry, that was so boring" i say, signing as well.

he laughs and nods.

"sorry my dad is such an ass."

i crack up a bit. "i didn't even know he had a son! and you are just like your mom." 

"i didn't know jackson had a daughter either... this is so cool!"

we sit there for a minute and talk about school until our moms say dinner is ready.

jimin sits down next to me.

"no, jimin, you sit over here. not next to the deaf girl." mr. park whispers. 

"dude! i can see what you're saying! what's wrong with you?!" i say, furiously. my mother looks at me and signs something i shouldn't repeat. i walk off with tears in my eyes. i close the door to my room, but jimin's foot blocks it.

"just go, jimin. i wouldn't want you to catch my deafness." i sob out.

he shoves the door open and closes it behind him. "that isn't even possible."

"it is to your dad, apparently."

don't be sad, okay? i know a lot more than you think.

oh my god, you didn't see what my mom said did you?

sadly.  he laughs. jen is my half sister just so you know.

what?!

yeah. that's why i know sign language, stupid. 

jesus i hate you, jimin.

love you, too.

my cheek immediately heat up at his words. i swear this boy will be the death of me. 

you okay?  he signs to me, engulfed in flames of embarrassment. 

yeah, why wouldn't i be, jerkface?

wow, good one.

thanks, i really try. i let out a small laugh, making jimin clap.

there she is! he laughed. 

we sit there and talk for hours and hours, until his mother calls for him. he sits up and helps me up off of the floor. he kisses my hand and walks out, leaving me a confused mess. i stand there and stare at his back as he walks next door. i look out my window, seeing a light turn on in the window across from me. the curtain draws back to see a smiling boy staring back at me. my face grows red as we just stare at each other's faces. 

goodnight, sunny.

goodnight jerkface.

 ~yay! i finally started writing this again.. i really like this story so far!!~