Ch. 3: A Grim Understanding

~Ren's P.O.V~

      I could see the funeral clearly from the window in Gunner's room, distorted by the rain sliding down the window pane, and feel no remorse. Rourke was a cold hearted bastard that deserved everything he got in life, I was just surprised that no one had taken him out sooner. To his pack, Rourke was seen as their strong willed alpha that sacrificed everything to protect them; however, to everyone else he was a cold-blooded killer who didn't care about who or what he killed. For that, I hope he's burning In hell for all eternity.

      "Enjoying the fruits of your success?"

      A deep, cold voice says from the doorway and I turn around to see Ivan. "Shouldn't you be at Daddy's funeral? You are- well were- his oldest son after all." I see his eyebrow twitch ever so slightly at my harsh words and I smile smugly in success. I'm In an absolute terrible mood and when I don' want to be bothered, I'll speak to someone with cruel words to chase them off.

      "I had to declare my lycan rule in front of the council in order to claim my father's position." His frigid glare doesn't waiver from my sinister one as we silently glare at one another. I really don't want him here so I devise a plan to send him on his way.

      "Oh, set these next to your father's grave for me and relay my condolences for me." A beautiful bouquet of twenty strikingly red roses appear next to him, and I turn away from him as he eyes me.

      "How did you summon those? The only vampires with powers are pure-bloods." I snort and roll my eyes. "I'm the vampire Alpha, what do you expect?" "Speaking of which, what does it mean to be the Vampire Alpha?"

      "I'm just a simple pure-blood with a lot of knowledge." "Bullshit, I think it has something to do with the Higairi blood flowing through your veins."

      I spin around to look at him in shock.

      "My brother told me about your incident with the synthetic blood; synthetic blood makes pure-bloods sick but will kill someone of the royal family if they ingest it. You are Jacklyn Higairi's cousin, aren't you?" How the hell did he find that out? No one, besides Jodie and I, knows the make-up of my blood. This isn't good, If finds out about the other half of my blood then he'll REALLY want to kill me.

      "Nice theory, but there have been normal pure-bloods who'll be killed If they ingest synthetic blood. I'm not special." I could see his glare intensify so I turn away from him, feeling drained. "My brother will be back some time later tonight to move you into my room where you'll be staying from now on. I'd rather you try and fail to kill me rather than trying and succeeding in killing my little brother."

      After he leaves, I smirk to myself as I slip Gunner's phone out from under a pillow and unlock It. I was able to get a hold of this when Gunner wasn't paying attention this morning, and I have a very important call to make.

      "Hello? Who is this?" A familiar voice says over the line.

      "I take It you received my envelope and have taken a look at the flash drive?"

      "So you're the one who sent It. Alright, I followed your suggestions, what now?" "Continue on as normal and wait for me to you give an all clear." The line was silent for a couple of minutes before I hear a deep sigh.

      "How do I know you're not trying to trick us?" I let out a faint chuckle and watch Ivan's retreating form walk to the funeral through the window. "If I was tricking you, I wouldn't have sent you all that sensitive information. Just lay low and soon I'll have everything taken of." I hang up and put the phone back where I found It.