Four: Basorexia

basorexia: the overwhelming desire to kiss

We spend a few more minutes in my room, and then decide that it's time to head back to my car and get on our way. Jonah begins the climb down the trellis, and I watch from the window above. Once he's halfway to the ground, I hear footsteps, and then a knock on my door.

"Uh, Jonah," I say.

Jonah looks up, piercing hazel eyes asking a question. "Yeah?"

"Just. Gimme a minute. I'll be right down."

"Sure," he says, "take your time."

I slip back into my room and answer the door. My younger brother stands there, staring at me.

"I didn't hear you come in," he states.

"Um, okay." I scratch the back of my neck nervously. "Can I help you?"

"I heard another voice besides yours. Do you have someone over?"

I only opened the door a little, just as much as I needed to show myself and talk to him. His face starts to show a little suspicion, then he opens his mouth in amused realization. "Is it a girl?" he whispers excitedly with a few pokes to my chest.

"Yeah, let's go with that, George," I say. "No, I don't, shut up."

George pushes his way into my room. "I don't see anyone. Is she hiding in the closet?"

I snort involuntarily. He has no idea who's in the closet.

I quickly recover and give him a look. "Dude. Stop."

He looks at me with narrow eyes. He jabs his index finger at me a little, as if he knows something. "I think I know what's going on here."

"What the hell are you talking about," I say what a forced scoff. I'm really not that good a liar.

"Duuude," he coos with a loving look. He puts his hand on my shoulder. "You have another dude over. I get it."

Shit. He knows. "George," I say in a shaky voice, "please don't tell anyone. If you doᅳ"

"Dude! I was joking! It was a joke!" His hand fell off my shoulder, and surprise covered his face.

I feel my eyes get wider and my face become hot. "Yeah," I say, "yeah, I was totally joking too. I mean. Totally."

But George isn't falling for it. "It's okay."

"What?" My voice is still shaking. I can't control it.

"It's okay." He pulls me into a hug. "I'm here for you, man. You do you."

I sighed in relief. "Thank you."

He pulls away. "I can see it," he says, nodding.

"Shut up." I smiled. "I have to go. I'm showing him around."

"I'm sure you're showing him something." He nudges me with his arm, grinning. "Have fun."

"Oh my gosh. Stop." I pause. "And don't say anything about it, okay? You're the only one who knows."

He nods. "Sure, of course, bro."

"Thanks."

I smile and start to climb down the trellis.

"Hey," George says, stopping me.

"Yeah?"

"So when can I meet this guy?"