The Reunion

“Bray?” whispered Tula as the man came out of the shadows. His gold hair, even longer than Tula’s, bounced on his back as he stopped in front of her.

“Tula, I helped you escape last time on the note that you would never come back.” His voice was hard, but Tula detected a hint of pain. “Go back; I don’t want to fight you.”

“I’m afraid that’s not possible. I do not wish to fight you either, so please step aside.” Her voice was as cold as usual, but she could not meet his eyes.

“You know I can’t do that.” He replied, moving an inch closer as if to emphasize his point. Tula finally looked up into his eyes. His expression was pained; he truly did not wish to fight her. But she had no time for this discussion, James was in danger and Vendigard was so close that it made her heart burn. For the past three years she had waited for the right moment to exact her revenge on him, and finally that moment had come. She will not let anyone stand her way, even an old friend like Bray.

Finally understanding that a fight was inevitable, Bray jumped back into the shadows. Tula reluctantly drew her sword and for a moment all was silent. Then, Tula saw a small glint as Bray’s sword reflected the light, and she brought her sword up just in time. Their swords connected with a loud clang and Tula saw her own reflection in his eyes before she pushed him back.

“I didn’t help you escape last time just so you could come back for revenge” remarked Bray, his voice dejected and distant. Tula remembered that day three years ago quite clearly and, as she lunged an attack at Bray, she couldn’t help but recall those days. Her and Bray used to practice sword fighting almost every day when she didn’t have a mission. She made a serious of complicated manoeuvres that eventually led Bray back into the shadows.

In the past, when Vendigard had first picked her and her brother up from that snowy alleyway where they had nearly frozen to death, Bray was much stronger than her; he had defeated her every time. But Tula learned fast, she had a natural talent for fighting, and having her brother’s life on the line may have helped too. Eventually there was a time where they were on par and they would fight for hours on end. But now that she recalled it, there wasn’t a single time that she had properly defeated him. She will make this the first.

Their swords clashed again and again, but even the loud metallic clangs couldn’t distract Tula from the past. She recalled many of her missions, the things she had to do, the people she had to kill, most of whom were innocent. And every time she was too overwhelmed, thinking that it was all too much, she would remember her brother’s smiling face and she would trudge forward to another mission; thinking that just a little more and she could save him, just a little more and he would be free. How stupid she had been to believe that. How ignorant she was to have trusted Vendigard.

But that was over now, she felt a prick in her eye and she realized her eye was watering. He vision began to blur and she quickly blinked back the tears before ducking away from Bray’s sword.

“Revenge is not the only reason I came back.” Tula found herself saying, thankfully, her voice did not betray the swelling emotions in her heart.  Bray hesitated mid swing, giving her enough time to dodge.

“What are you talking about?” He asked, quickly regaining his composure and dodging a knife that Tula had thrown at his head.

“I guess Vendigard still keeps you in the dark about these things,” she answered and swinging her sword at an opening she had spotted, Bray dodged most of it but she managed a shallow cut. They both knew that Vendigard didn’t trust Bray much. The only reason Bray was even here is because he was blackmailed as Tula was.

“Bray, listen to me, it’s happening again!” Tula hissed. Bray froze in his tracks, his eyes wide.

“What?” he questioned, he was breathing heavily, and Tula realized she was too. She had a small cut on her cheek and her left arm, but she hardly felt them.

“He has a small boy captive, I’ve been travelling with him because of certain...well...circumstances.” she hesitated, not sure why herself. There was a sudden clang and Tula quickly looked up to see that Bray had dropped his sword. He brought his hand up and covered his face, letting out a drawn out sigh.

“I didn’t know, I’m sorry” he said, sounding tired “You know I’m not on his side, right? I think all the things he does are horrible...but I can’t keep giving excuses. I have my orders, and my own things I need to protect, I can’t let you through.” He sighed again, then bent down and picked up his sword.

“I won’t allow the past to repeat itself; I am not as cowardly as you.” murmured Tula, “But you have determination, I will not hold back anymore.” She raised her own sword and they clashed again, the sound resonating through the tunnels. I can’t let this drag out, the others will be here soon, and I’ll be at a disadvantage, thought Tula as she pulled out another throwing knife from one of her many hiding places and threw it, aiming for Bray’s chest.

“Do they still have her?” Tula found herself asking, “your wife?”

He smiled a small sad smile, “yes, I get to see her once every two or three months so I know she’s alive, although I can’t say she’s doing very well.”

Tula jumped back and looked up, meeting his eyes.

“Is this what you really want? Do you think Vendigard will really set her free? How long have you worked here, five, six years? And Vendigard probably hasn’t even thought of letting her go, he’s using you, and you’re letting him, like I did.”

“Quiet,” said Bray, he didn’t yell it, but it was forceful nonetheless, “I have no choice.”

“There’s always a choice.” Tula was angry now; she pointed her sword accusingly at Bray. “Don’t make the same mistake I did, Bray. Vendigard thinks he has you wrapped around his little finger, and so far you’ve done nothing but prove him right!”

She sighed heavily and stepped forward, her eyes still fixed on Bray’s.

“You know how this is going to end, there’s no point in denying it. You really think Vendigard will set you free after all this? There’s no way, you know too much. He’ll betray you like he did me!” Tula’s gaze didn’t allow Bray to look away, she knew that he knew it deep in his heart; she just had to help him realize it.    

 Then, all too suddenly, he closed his eyes and stepped out of the way, leaving the path to the door clear. Tula’s eyes grew wide, he was letting her pass?

“I know, but I’m not as brave as you are, I’m afraid what will happen to my dear Sillia if I defy him.” He smiled sadly, “I can’t do much to help you, but I’ll try to keep the rest of the guys out for as long as I can.”

He motioned for her to go in before whispering “I wish you the best of luck Tula” and disappearing back into the shadows.

Tula looked up at the ornamental door for a long moment, unable to believe that she had finally made it. Finally, she reached out for the handle and pulled the door open, this time, with no interruptions.