ii. knock on wood

"You're going where?" asked my handsome, yet extremely understanding and accepting boyfriend. He stared at me with a mixture of anger and disappointment in his eyes, something that I couldn't bare to see. I looked into his beautiful plain and simple brown eyes, hoping that it wasn't as bad as it looked.

I grinned as I paced the room. I looked down at the bohemian themed carpet my mom bought me when I first moved in. I tried to explain myself, hoping that he was completely supportive with every bone in his body. "Well..." I began. "I entered a few of my drawings, along with an application to study abroad on an internship in Rome."

"Rome." he repeated with his muscular arms crossed. His curly hair fell down the sides of his forehead, where a few sweat drops sat.

"Yes. Rome." I repeated.

The more I spoke to him, the more I felt like I was in trouble. As if he was going to send me on a time out to think about my actions. Sure, I didn't tell him about my plans, but did I really have to? I love him, don't get me wrong, but who actually thought we'd last this long? Grey definitely didn't, and neither did I.

"Gabi." he began. I wasn't sure if he was going to go on a rant or not. It sure did seem like it.

I stopped him. If it was a rant, I didn't really want to hear it. "Dylan. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you."

"Well, you could've." he interrupted me. He walked toward me and took a step forward. He set his hands on my shoulders, forcing me to look him straight in the eye. "Look, Gabs. If this is something that you want, then fine, it's yours." he said, completely blowing my mind. Never in a million years did I think those words would come out of his mouth. Dreams really do come true.

I just stared at him. And he stared back. I was way too shocked to say anything, something that has never really happened to me.

"I love you, Gabi. And whatever makes you happy, makes me happy." he continued, proving that he's one of these best boyfriends ever. He was so awesome that it was way too good to be true. I've got to knock on wood though, can't jinx myself now when everything great is going on.

I looked down at the wooden coffee table sitting in the middle of the living room. I bent over and knocked three times. I quickly jumped back up, making eye contact with Dylan. He lifted his bushy brown eyebrow, before shaking his head.

"Sorry, I'm very-"

"Superstitious, I know." he cut me off. I laughed.

Things we're going off to a great start. If it stayed this way, I'd be the happiest girl on the planet. And it will. I'll be sure of it. Nothing can stop me from this moment.

I bent over again, and knocked the coffee table three more times.

* * *

"Passport?" Grey asked.

"Check." I replied.

"Oil paints?" followed Dylan.

"Check."

I nodded with a smile, as the two most important men in my life (other than my father) stared back at me. I could see the support in their eyes. They wanted this for me as much as I wanted it for myself.

In the crowded airport, we heard the automated woman's voice calling my flight. I turned and watched the electronic sign change to "Now Boarding". The people around me started to head toward the shuttle. My heart started to pump, as Rome officially started to hit me. I was actually in an airport, on my way to a totally different country, doing what I love.

"Welp." Grey began, leaning in for a hug. "This is it."

I laughed, "Grey, it's not like I'm moving away." I hugged him. "I'm only gone for a month."