Chapter Thirty Four

I was happy to see Saturday arrive. It meant that I was off duty and my chances of messing everything up for Scarlet and myself were slimmer. Simon was off too, so the three of us decided to go out to a lake far out on the other side of the city. I never knew there was a lake in Silver Dome until now.

Scarlet was already outside with Simon near one of the barracks, standing in the shade. It was a good eighty degrees outside. I wore a thin army green t-shirt with beige cargo shorts with my hands stuffed in my pockets. Simon looked as if he were going to play tennis. He carried a large white duffel bag on one shoulder.

"What are we going to do when we get there?" I asked him. He adjusted his sun visor and pushed up his glasses.

"We're having a picnic." Scarlet said with a smile. I nodded, even though I wasn't asking her. I turned away and started heading towards the end of the Leadership Zone.

"I also packed swimsuits. I understand you two never swam before, right?" Simon said.

"How did you get swimsuits for us? How do you even know if it would fit us?" Scarlet asked, a little excited.

"I just asked Edna to go through your files and tell me your sizes." Simon said. "No trouble."

"You could have asked." I muttered uncomfortably.

"You guys would have refused. The two of you need to know how to swim. It may come in handy someday."

"Shouldn't we automatically know how?" I asked frustratingly. I groaned under my breath and pinched the bridge of my nose, briefly closing my eyes.

"No. Brian doesn't expect any Co-Leaders to go swimming or to end up in a situation where they have to swim. He believes that if you want to know how, then you have to learn on your own." Simon said. "So I'll be teaching both of you."

"What makes you think we would end up in that kind of situation?" I asked.

"I always wanted to learn." Scarlet said. I ignored her. From the corner of my eye I could see her looking at me.

"Look, it's a fun thing to do. It doesn't hurt to learn another skill." Simon said. "Let's catch a cab. It's too far."

"Wow. That really shows how much Control Leaders get out of the Zone." Scarlet teased, snickering. Simon laughed and nodded.

"Yes, while I'm spending time in the air conditioning, you guys are running around out here, burning in the sun." Simon said with a chuckle.

"Hey, at least we get awesome tans." Scarlet held out her arm and showed off her skin. It was starting to become golden. She turned to me and frowned. "You're awfully quiet today, Collin." I spoke a few times, but I knew she meant I was quiet towards her. I only spoke to Simon.

"Huh? Yeah, I just don't really have much to say." I said, watching my footsteps.

"You're not excited?" She asked. I shrugged.

"Seriously, are you okay?" She raised her eyebrows with concern.

"Last I checked." I said flatly. I wanted her to stop talking to me, but I didn't want to be rude and tell her not to. It would make her want to even more. She would pry and try to ask me what's wrong.

"Don't be a party pooper. It's Saturday. Relax and have fun." Simon said. I gazed at him from under my eyelashes, staring at the back of his head with annoyance. Why did I come?

Oh, yeah. Simon insisted.

When we were completely out of the Leadership Zone, we caught a cab and started to ride out to the other side.