Chapter 5

---Nadir's POV---

Days passed before I made it to Aakif's city. The city was busy, people just passing through or setting up shops for a few weeks. It was a very interesting spot, a settlement at the crossroads.

I had to admit that it was a very smart idea; merchants would have new people passing through daily, the people passing through would stack up on food and suplies before continuing their journey.

My eyes slowly settled on the large palace, my mind darkened with memories. For many, this town was a paradise but for a small group, this city was hell.

Looking around, I could already spy several faces that tried to hide their pain and fear. Distraught mothers looking through the streets, clamping onto passerbys to ask them about their missing sons. Fathers with worry lines on their faces, glancing at the city guards and shaking their heads.

Welcome to Al Karbah, the city of wealth and travelers. Or known by the minority, the City of lost innocence.

Nudging Tahir, I rode into town, not bothered to hide myself. I was a blade hidden in the mass, visible yet hidden in plain sight. Clicking, I lead my horse to an inn, nodding at the young stableboy who ran out with a grin.

After tossing him a silverpiece and making sure he would take care of Tahir and knew how to handle the stallion, I went inside. Instantly my senses were assaulted with smells, the buzzing of several conversations at once.

There were several men conversing softly while sharing a hookah, a water pipe. Smoke circled through the air as they conversed and ate small fingerfoods. A few women were there, but I suspected they were the women of the men smoking, maybe relatives of the owner.

It was still rare to see a female without any guidance or claim but there were families who were expanding and loosening their views. Not all of them clung to the ancient ways and instead allowed the women to make their own path.

"Salam alaykum. Welcome good sir," (Peace be upon you.) I looked up at the greeting and smiled, accepting the hand while replying with the customary response. "Wa alaykum as-salam. It looks like business goes well." (And upon you be peace.)

The owner smiled warmly and nodded, "Indeed Sir, many travelers lately. Many thirsty, hungry or in need of a place to sleep. All are welcome of course." I smiled, grinning as I inquired for the man's health, knowing that is was the polite thing to do. Judging by the way he held my hand a bit longer and the way he guided me in, I had made a good impression.

"We are well, thank Allah for our good health. My wife has just given birth to our first daughter. She's as beautiful and rare as a desert flower." He grinned happily and I congratulated him, placing my hand on my heart in greeting when the man motioned to his wife.

After several minutes of back and forth questions, I slowly guided the subject to possible accomidations and hopefully some food. It took some more back and forth banter, an invitation to join his family to eat, which I couldn't decline without insulting the man and then I was guided to my room.

It was spacious and left nothing to be desired for. A low groan escaped me as I saw a bathtub ready to be filled before tossing a longing look at the extremely soft bed. I depostited what little I possesed besides the bed and started removing my clothes.

A bath would be lovely now.

A hiss escaped me as I sat down in the steaming water, feeling my skin tingle at the nearly burning heat. Even if I had been roaming through the desert heat for the past days, the water's high temperature succeeded in soothing my aching muscles.

"Hmmm...man, traveling sure has a way to settle in your bones." I murmured over the steaming water, closing my eyes and tilting my head back. Damn, I could sit in this bath all day but I had business to do.