Chapter 18

Morning streamed through the pine branches in bright gold and blue. A gust of wind blew straight through the cover and nearly knocked Vicky back down. Pushing back a stray piece of dirty-blonde hair, she emerged from the protection of the tree. It was morning all right; in fact, it must already have been about nine. Why didn’t he wake her up earlier?

                A few feet away, a tall figure had positioned himself near a small fire, turning a skewed something over the flames. Forgetting sleep, Vicky marched over to the man authoritatively, a frown etched into her small visage. Even with him seated and Vicky standing upright, the man still towered over her. She waited calmly for him to look up, tapping her foot impatiently. After much deliberation, he finally inclined his head.

                “Yes?”

                “Why didn’t you wake me up earlier? We should already have left long ago.”

                “It seemed the rest would do you good; you looked tired.”

                “Well, I’m fine, so we can leave now. Ready?”

                “My squirrel hasn’t finished cooking yet, missy.”

                “Your squirrel? Is that what you call that burnt, bloated, piece of…….ok, nevermind. Can you make it quick? I’d like to keep up a quick pace if you please.”

                “Whatever you say, missy.” The man chuckled quietly to the roasting squirrel.

                “What are you laughing at?” More chuckles. “Rurik, are you laughing at me? Are you?” Vicky grasped the Rurik’s shoulder in her tiny hand, ready to pounce on him.

                “You seem in such a hurry, is all. Pray tell, where is the army? I would know if they were right behind us. Or where is the storm? The sun is as clear as any day.”

                “What?”

                He in turn stood to his full height, which amassed to quite something, and spoke gently. “Why the rush to be off? We still have quite enough daylight, and no obvious reason to keep up a fast pace.”

                “You don’t get it, do you? My sister, and my two brothers, are lost somewhere out there in that, that, place. I don’t even know where they are. Do you see? They could be anywhere, in any type of trouble. I need to find them, and you’re not exactly helping!”

                Rurik stroked his stubbled chin, staring into the fire that for him usually had the answers. What do you tell a child who has almost--no, no hope at all of succeeding? How do you say, ‘Give up’?

                “Just next time, wake me up ok? We need to keep moving.” And with that Vicky stalked off, determined to go as fast as her small legs could carry her. A hand on her shoulder halted her progress abruptly.

                The nearest town would be in the other direction.”

                “Whatever.” The couple wove their way through forests, over hills, and finally down into a large valley. Almost as if someone had reached down and scooped out a hole from the earth, the valley sat wedged in between two large mountain ranges. Several seemingly small buildings dotted the floor of the vale, creating an almost serene picture.

                If not for the fire eating away at those houses.

                “What….” Vicky trailed off into stunned silence.

                “Has it finally started? I never thought they’d actually make it this far-“ Several screams interrupted Rurik’s speculation. Without a second’s hesitation, he dashed down into the valley.

*  *  *  *