Chapter 4: 1C-1/6

"Who are you?"

At first I was taken aback by such and abrupt yet basic question. This time without hesitating I answered, "Erin Cloude. But I already told you that, remember?"

Oh my word, we'd gone over this a million times!! Why must these people drag it on and on?

Now he looked up at me, staring for all he was worth with those piercing blue eyes. 

"Yes, but who are you? Neither your name nor your story tell us anything. Why did you come? Where did you come from? And of course what are you doing here?"

I could only answer one of his questions, obviously, but somehow I knew it wouldn't be enough to satisfy those suspicious stormy eyes. What reason did he have to believe me? I understood now why the king had sent me away. Why should he trust me? Honestly, no one would believe the crazy story about the girl who fell through a strange insubstantial puddle. And the fact that that girl's last name was CLOUDE?? Not only insane, but also EXTREMELY corny.

"I'm from Meriden, Connecticut, and I live on Harper Street." What if these people didn't even live on the same planet as I did? "My planet is Earth. Is this land somewhere on Earth, too?"

The man didn't like that I'd started asking questions again, and he certainly didn't agree with any of my answers. "How do I know you are speaking the truth? In all my years I have never heard of any of those names. Why should I believe you?"

"I... I don't know," I answered lamely, "but I'm not lying. I have no reason to lie, actually. You know I've been in jail. I understand that you could put me in the same place or worse if you don't like what I'm saying. So why should-" the frustrated look in his eyes came back when I started my own question,"There is no reason why I should lie to you if I want to stay safe."

At last the man leaned backward again, I hoped at last satisfied with my answer. A friendly smile the likes of which I hadn't seen at all so far grew on his olive-colored face. Without hesitation I grinned back, looking for all the world like an insane teenager.

"Come with me; you may eat your fill with what meager supplies we have, and then one of my people will show you to a spare room. We don't have much because of our need for secrecy." Suspicion slightly creased his face when he turned sharply to me. "I hope I can trust you to speak to no one of this?" My furious nodding convinced him and brought out his warm smile again. "Good. You can stay with us for today, but tomorrow you will have to find a place." At my startled and verging-on-panic face he readily explained, "Gemir will return to his place and will assign you a job in the palace. I am afraid that is the only place you can work. But then if someone recognizes you..." he trailed off and halted his brisk pace, giving me a chance to catch up.

I followed his gaze and saw a shorter, curly-haired woman talking amongst a group of young men. I realized with lightening surety that she was the woman who had called on the older man earlier during our secret conversation. The woman was speaking in a low, urgent tone, trying desperately to explain something to them. Then her face lit up, and she clapped one of the men on the back with a hearty praise. She turned from the triumphant group and strode over to the old man as if she knew he was staring at her.

"I assume you wish to speak with me, Sir?" Her large inquisitive eyes glowed a warm amber in the surprisingly bright torchlight.

"No, no...Well, yes, I suppose I do. Captain, will you take Erin to one of our spare rooms, and please show her to the mess hall?"

"Of course, Sir." The Captain nodded curtly, then headed swiftly in the other direction holding my arm gently. I tried to push away a nagging thought as we neared a corner, but I halted the brisk pace when I realized I still didn't know the old man's name.