The Witness

The Witness

Perilous monsters among you, have commit a murder so unforgettable.

Seven Years Ago, aged 9

The air was refreshing and crisp outside, too perfect to even realise what event would occur in the very near future. I was walking with my best friend at the time, Jack, who was far ahead of me. We had just left school and he wanted to go somewhere. He never actually asked me to come, but I followed him anyway because my parents wouldn't have cared and neither did I since I had no other place else to go to. As I caught up with him, he seemed annoyed with my presence.

"Why don't you hang out with girls like yourself?" He asked angrily.

"They don't like me."

I was never liked by girl cliques. They weren't mean to me, but instinctively I could understand that they didn't want me in their groups and that I was just a round peg in a square hole. A misfit.

So I befriended Jack because he had no friends of his own. I thought it would make sense if we became friends. He didn't understand it, but he seemed to accept it.

Jack turned to a train station and I ran to catch up with him. I was gasping for air as I asked him, "Where are you going?"

He looked at me, but he didn't say anything. His face said it all though, he didn't want me here. He didn't even know I was here until I spoke. At those times I began to think that he was a mute.

I received questioning looks from people when we entered. One even asked, "What are you doing here by yourself, you puddings!"

He stopped when he saw a boy our age searching through magazines at a newspaper stall. Compared to our disheveled hair and our unclean clothes, he seemed very neat, with his shirt tucked inside his trousers and his hair blond and sleek. He looked wary of us but he approached us.

"My mum is having coffee with her friends, and she won't be happy when she sees you." He warned Jack arrogantly.

"It doesn't matter." Jack replied monotonously.

"Okay, then what do you want? Go away."

Jack seemed to get furious as he glared at him intensely.

The blond boy turned to me and laughed, "And you are? Probably his girlfriend! Ewww!"

I didn't respond to him and I just averted my eyes. Just as my sight was to land on my shoes, Jack spoke.

"Go away Roxanne," I couldn't quite comprehend what he was telling me so I just stood there like a pumpkin.

"Go away Roxanne." He repeated, shooing me.

Slowly, I began to walk away to the exit, but instead, I hid behind a pole. I hoped nobody had seen me. I peeked from my hiding place and my eyes searched for Jack. I spotted him and I stared, as if it were a movie.

Jack and the boy began conversing with one another until Jack looked up to see a man in his mid to late twenties at the time. He was tall and had light brown hair that looked similar to Jack's. The man grabbed the boy and placed the palm of his hand over his mouth. The boy's screaming was muffled and the kicking became inaudible after he carried him. Jack just stood there and watched, just like me.

The man began threatening the boy and Jack was smiling grimly. People passed by them and asked about what they were doing but they insisted that they were just playing with him. But it was very ignorant of them to not notice the fear in the boy's eyes. They walked further towards the railway line and I hid pole behind pole to be able to see them clearly. I was too curious and scared. And if that was how I felt, imagine how the boy had felt. My heart was already in my throat.

The man began shouting at him and the boy began mumbling a few apologies. He placed the boy down on his feet again.

The boy cursed at him and began running. But he was too late since the man caught him once more by the collar of his shirt. Now he was in a serious situation. He was in the danger zone of the railway line. Pushed down to the tracks, he screamed. There was no way out.

"Get him out! Get him out!" They all begged. But they all knew it was the end for him. Lights flashed and we all heard the train. This was the end. This was his expiry date. He had to endure those last seconds as this was it.

People waved at the train to stop, but it couldn't. It wasn't meant to stop here. Wails and sobs were heard from all corners. I'd just remembered who was behind this, but they were no where to be seen. A woman jumped down with him. She moved her lips continuously and seemed to be repenting. Struck by the train, they all acted like it was an apocalypse. The train moved and no one could bear to look. People were crying at my feet but I was too young to understand why. I walked towards the railway line to see what had happened to them. Hardly recognising them, their bodies were cut into half, with the blond much more affected than the woman. At the time I thought, well she obviously did a great job at protecting him . That was Sarcasm at its worst possible timing. It was a bloody and gory mess but I noticed that no one seemed to look at it except for me. I was fascinated.

I'd just witnessed death for the first time and my experience wasn't about to end right then.