1: The Royal Thief

Chapter One

A mother tells her son stories.

There were stories of daring pirates and the glorious battles of seafaring warriors. Some were tales long ago of worlds with lost souls and mystical beings who lived beneath the waves. Others were legends surrounding magnificent cities, where the structures gleamed of gold and the rivers filled with rich wine. The romantic tone one used to tell such stories would send a child's heart racing at the mere mention of swords and dragons, transporting them to the realm of quests and glory.

    Adriel remembered with vivid detail every single story Rose had ever told their son, especially the Adventures of Taron Rennes, stories he'd never even heard of as a child. One could only imagine where his wife got them from. He could see light of adventure in Jack's eyes, sitting there in his mother's lap, begging for more tales so he wouldn't have to go to sleep. And when he finally gave into slumber, he refused to get out of bed on several occasions, wanting to close his eyes and go back to the worlds within his dreams. Even as a young boy, Adriel knew that his son dreamed of adventure. It was a call that rung through his veins.

    It was then that Adriel realized he had been staring at an old family painting in the castle hallways. He had called in the artisan over three years ago, and it had taken forever to get his thirteen year old son to stand still.

    The young prince stood to his father's side, trying to be as tall as a boy on the horizon of puberty could be. Adriel himself sat in the middle, dressed in a royal suit with his golden sash and brooches. He remembered that he had been dealing with feuding merchants all day and those several hours of being a statue in the chair was the only reprieve he had granted his legs.

Then his sight moved onto the woman, clothed in a breathtaking dress. Her turquoise eyes were lush and full of life, contrasting with her equally radiant ginger hair.

    The king let out a deep sigh. His beautiful, vibrant Rose. She was so violently wrenched out of his life he had no warning. There was no chance for preparation.

    He wanted Rose to still be with him, to stand by him in times of trouble, to lay in her arms and lap when they were alone in their bedchamber, the only place in the world where he didn't have to be a ruler. He longed for her to lead alongside him once more, to help him deal with the burdens of the kingdom.

    "And as a bonus, reel in that son of ours," Adriel grumbled to himself. He didn't have any more time to spend on dwelling on the past as the royal decorator rushed up to him.

    "Your Majesty!" He fumbled with his papers for a moment, eyes scanning through the documents, desperately reminding himself what it was that he needed to inform the king. "The courtyard has been swept clean, the flowers set up, the caterer is coming within the hour, and the orchestra is due to arrive in two. Everything is ready for tonight's ball."

    "Excellent. And the weather?"

    "Sky is bright and blue and there's not a cloud in sight."

    "Good. Can't have it raining on our guests. Inform me immediately once the delegation from Jotunheim arrives." Adriel frowned for a second before pondering out loud, "Perhaps I should consider demolishing our current ballroom to rebuild and expand it."

    The decorator grimaced. "I would advise remodeling the entire castle if you want to invite the giants inside, Your Majesty. There can never be too high of a ceiling for them. Perhaps we can just settle for a wonderful gala beneath the stars. It seemed to have worked well for the past century."

    "I see your point. Alright. Let's just hope that the Brothers don't send a downpour our way. By the way, decorator, have you seen my son?"

    "His Royal Highness?" The young man shook his head. "I'm afraid I haven't, Your Majesty."