Chapter 1

"Katelyn! Get up! Now!"

I rolled over and groaned. The sunlight streamed in through the window directly to my eyes, so it was pretty hard to fall back asleep. My door opened, and someone walked in. I didn't have to turn around to know it was my roommate, Addison. 

"How do you fall asleep with it so dark in here?" She asked me.

I tried to open one eye to look at her, but quickly snapped it shut because the sunlight blinded me. 

"What are you talking about," I grumbled. "Do you see that sunlight? Cause I sure do." 

She rolled her eyes at my comment. "I meant cause of all the posters on your wall. It looks like a cave in here!" 

I smirked at that. She was right, there were posters literally covering my wall. There was actors, movie posters, and book posters. I was what people called, "a fangirl". 

"Actually this one's not too bad." 

I rolled over and looked at the poster she was talking about. I smiled.

The poster had a man in the middle wearing a brown jacket and a red bowtie. Behind him was a big, blue police box. At the bottom it said, "Geronimo.

"He's not half bad." She smirked.

"No, no he's not." I winked. She knew he was my favorite actor, and that was my favorite show. I should probably clarify. 

The show was called, Doctor Who. It was about a Time Lord, a different species, who traveled the world in the past, presence, and future in his blue police box, which is called the Tardis. He traveled time and space saving civilizations from monsters. Sometimes he traveled with a companion, sometimes he traveled alone. He never traveled with other Time Lords though, cause he's the last of their kind. 

"Well get up you big loaf. I made breakfast." She left my room and closed the door behind her. I stretched my body and a small dinosaur noise came out of my mouth. I glanced over at the clock, which read 9:32. I stood up out of bed and pulled my Union Jack comforter up to my pillows. I walked over to my dresser and opened the drawers. All over them I had miscellaneous stickers, like Disney stickers or animal stickers. I pulled out a pair of black jeans and a white t-shirt. I slipped them on, and wore a oversized gray sweater over them. I opened my door, which had a Tardis door sticker on it, and walked out to the living room.

Our apartment wasn't very big, it was the size a college student could afford, which was what Addison and I both were. We both attended University of Cambridge, one of the top schools in England. Addison was majoring in Biological Anthropology, and I was majoring in Zoology. I really loved animals. I walked into the kitchen and looked at the table. Addison set out biscuits, bacon, and grits. I grabbed a big hunk of all of it, and poored myself a mug of coffee. I sat down and chewed through my food, thinking about the book I had finished last night. 

"What do you plan on doing today?" I didn't hear Addison enter the room, but she was standing by the door sifting through the basket of shoes. 

"I'll probably go to the woods again." I said without thinking. 

One thing I love besides animals, is art. I took an advanced art class every semester, always wanting to learn more. This week in my class, our job was to sketch something in nature that stands out to us. We'll resketch it onto a bigger canvas, and use special paints the teacher only saves for big occasions. 

"What are you going to be doing?" I asked her. She finally found the shoes she was looking for, slipping her feet into black ballet flats. 

"I'm going to see Oliver today. We're going out for lunch." 

Oliver was Addison's boyfriend. I really loved the guy, he was hilarious and stupid with me. Addison and him were pretty serious, they've been dating for around a year and a half. I've suggested to her quite a few times he might propose soon, but she always changes subjects.

"Sounds romantic." I wiggled my eyebrows at her. She laughed and swatted at my arm. She slipped on her black coat, and waved at me. 

"See you later, Kate!" She walked out the door and locked it behind her. I finished my breakfast and put my plate in the dishwasher. I poured my coffee into a purple travel mug and put it on the table by the door. I walked to the bathroom and brushed out my hair, putting it into a ponytail. I brushed my teeth throughly, and then laced up my combat boots on my feet. I grabbed my notebook and a pencil from my room. I locked the door behind me, and started off towards the woods.

The air was crisp, and the falling leaves crunched underneath my feet. It was supposed to be winter, but England was stubborn when it came to seasons sometimes, so it felt like a chilly day of fall. I walked to the edge of the woods, and I pushed some branches out of my way, entering through the small clearing in the trees like I always do. I followed the small dirt path in the grass as I looked around at the nature. I looked down at my feet for a second and,

BAM. I ran into something hard and got dizzy. I looked up, and saw I had run into a large evergreen.

That wasn't there last time. I thought to myself.

I backed up a little, and I saw the new tree split the path right in two. The path to the right was the one I always took, but to the left, was a brand new path. The dirt was a darker brown, and there was almost something enchanting about it. Without even thinking, I started down the path.

The trees seemed to be a little bright then before, with lush red and yellow leaves. There were vvines snaking up the wide trunks, and seeming to crawl a little onto the path. In the distance, was a big tree, with something leaning against its trunk. The object was large, tall. It was a dark blue, with windows surrounding the surface, and a light on the top. 

"No," I whispered. I ran towards it and my suspicions were right. 

It was the Tardis. 

"No," I whispered again, this time tears glazing my eyes. Vines had wrapped around the faded thing, and the light was only letting off a dull glow. Stubbornly, I  started ripping at the vines. I tried to rip them away to help the Tardis stand upright. 

"No, no, no, no, no," I started ripping them faster and faster, until the Tardis was free. The light seemed a little brighter now. I slammed my fists on the door. 

"Doctor?! Doctor?!" 

But no one answered. 

I leaned my forhead on the door, sobbing. Suddenly, I stumbled over my feet, the door was not supporting my head anymore. I was looking down at shoes now. 

I looked up hestitantly, but there he was. In the flesh. 

"Doctor," I trembled. I thought it was an illusion. He had a look over his face that showed he was in utter confusion.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" He asked.

It made my hold him tighter. Reluctantly, he wrapped his arms around. I could feel him trying to lead me somewhere, so I followed, but kept holding him. His arms loosened, and I loosened mine. The sound of a door shut behind me, and I realized I was standing in the middle of the Tardis. I gaped up at it, and spun in a circle. He was grinning at me.

"It's... it's bigger on the inside! Which I know you hear all the time." I laughed. He cocked his head a little at me, maybe trying to read me, but then he grinned.

"Tell me, uhh- sorry, what's your name?" He scrunched his eyebrows at me. I still couldn't believe I was standing in front of the Doctor."

"Katelyn," I declared. "Katelyn Loft."

"Well tell me, Katelyn Loft," he continued, "would you like to go on an adventure?"