X X X

[edited: 05/09/2017]

Something felt different to Remy as she walked through Astracia with Maksim the next day, and it wasn't that she felt slightly awkward after asking him to stay with her last night; the air was cooler, a slight breeze ruffling through her clothes, and each time she walked past someone on the way to the Central Hall, they appeared on edge. There was a dread, too, that was bubbling in the pit of her stomach, though she could not be sure it was not simply because of the atmosphere or because she was worried about Sarah. She forced herself to ignore it all, instead focusing on Maksim.

"If Sarah is in Refilyn," he was saying, his eyes narrowed in determination as he continued the conversation about how he would help Remy's friend, "it means that the Dark Ones managed to find a portal that brought them here from the Mortal World, and I can guarantee that they are hiding it somewhere close. The best place to begin our search is the Central Hall; they have all sorts of records on portals and their locations. I believe that we can find her if we look hard enough."

"And these records are available to anybody?" Remy questioned. Her dread returned, this time stronger; she kept thinking about the image of Sarah that Bliviar had shown to her, and how it might have changed overnight. She had not appeared to be hurt then, but perhaps she was now. She imagined how Sarah must feel, too, trapped in the darkness with dangerous warlocks, and all of this because of her. If she hadn't have run out to Maksim that day in Calderdale, none of this would have happened. It was the first time that she regretted ever meeting him.

"Perhaps not anybody, but you forget that my mother is a Council member. I believe that she will help us if necessary." His arm brushed against her shoulder. He seemed to be walking much closer to her today, and he had not yet made a sarcastic remark—or at least, he had made none that made Remy want to talk to him any less. Whatever had happened between the two of them yesterday, it had changed something in them. She didn't mind. She liked feeling that for the first time he might actually enjoy her presence.

"Your mother hates that we're helping Sarah," she frowned, shoving her hands in the pockets of her red cloak and ignoring the stares of other warlocks and witches. She was beginning to get used to them now and found that it wasn't as hard to keep her head up while being scrutinised as it had been only a few days ago. "Why would she do that?"

"I spoke to her last night." His blue eyes flashed with something—a memory, she thought. Hilda must have said something to him last night that had changed his opinion of her, for she was not self-centred enough to believe that she was the only one who had brought about his sudden change of heart. "She is not all that keen on our idea, but she knows that it is the right thing to do, I think. Perhaps she just feels rather overpowered now that there are two stubborn children in her household instead of one."

"I suppose we are quite stubborn," she agreed, feeling pleased with herself. Hilda was most certainly a force to be reckoned with, so if she had given in to their tenacity, Remy thought it was quite a feat. "Maybe she's finally realised that you're trying your best, and that should be enough."

"What do you mean?" He halted and tilted his head to the side. His red hair was tousled as though he had not bothered to style it this morning, but she liked it better that way, when it was in loose waves that curled around his jaw and the nape of his neck. She thought it made him appear more relaxed, as though the world might not end after all if he did not always remain so uptight. Still, his lips were pursed and his expression serious enough that she knew he had not transformed from his old self completely.

"Well, your mother is constantly on your back about your brother," she explained as cautiously as she could. "I just thought maybe it was time that she accepted his darkness and reminded herself of your goodness. Maybe she finally has."