Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

It was a shiny day, people were working, and children were studying, in the same routine; that day, my daughter, Emily Smith, got out from the hospital. Emily was diagnosed with a terminal disease. I already had the idea that she had something wrong, something off about her. 

When she had two years old, she was waiting for me to go to the movie theater. She was under the snow in that moment, well, that's what I was told. And I was still on the way. A friend called me with a shaking voice that he found Emily fainted on the ground. I got scared and went as fast as I could at home. When I saw her, I carried her, and ran immediately to the hospital. The doctor told me that she didn't just have enough oxygen through the bloodstream in that moment, and that she'll be fine. I accepted the info and left, but I had the feeling that something worse was coming up. In December 30th, when Emily was six, she passed out again, during a family presentation; the next day was going to be her birthday, so of course I couldn't let it pass by. I went to the hospital again, so they told me that they will diagnostic her in a week, to see her behavior, her blood pressure, and other things to find the problem. I was upset and worried to see her like that, vulnerable.

-"Emily, honey. You're going to stay here for a while; daddy will try to be coming as much as possible to see you. Especially tomorrow. You know what happens tomorrow~?"

-"Tomorrow is my birthday! I will be seven years old!"

She said giggling.

-"Yeah, you will be a big girl soon!"

I was in the edge of tears.

Today, when the week has passed, I was handed her diagnostic with my older son, Alex Smith, a 16 year-old boy.

-"W-What?"

I was in total shock.

-"Mr. Ryan Smith, it's a big disappointment to notice you, but Emily Smith is diagnosed with a terminal illness, we did the best we could, but that disease is incurable, we're sorry for the incident."

"...But why?" I thought to myself. I couldn't believe my daughter was going to die very soon...

Alex got very angry.

-"Isn't there anything that can be done!? Can't a treatment cure it? Stop it? Slow it down!? Anything...?"

-"We're sorry, that illness cannot be cured. The results showed that up."

-"But why? It can't be right! She can't die yet, she can't!

Alex burst in tears.

-"I'm sorry, Alex. But this is how things are; we have to accept it the way it is. Otherwise, the time will go faster.