Like a Diamond in the Sky

It feels like weeks had pass like seconds. So as a possible final stage, Alex and I took her to her most favorite place to be, our garden at midnight, where the stars glow the world. I was carrying her while Alex was aside of us.

- "It's beautiful, isn't it?" said Emily.

- "Yes...it is." Alex and I said, contemplating the night sky.

- "Do you see that kite?" she asked as she pointed at her image.

Alex and I looked up, following Emily's finger to find the shape.

- "Wow... it's amazing." Alex said, amazed.

Emily giggled as we stared the kite shape.

- "... Daddy?" called Emily weakly.

- "Yes?" I asked nervously.

- "Why is the sky getting darker?...something is getting near us, I can see a tiny light approaching... it's a very nice light...do you see it, daddy?" she said still smiling, losing her sight.

I ignored the question.

- "Emily",

I said holding back the tears.

"Imagine that you're entering a tunnel, where at the end you'll find a field with roses, flowers, butterflies, bunnies and lots of more animals. Your family and friends will be playing with you. And when it's night, there will be plenty of stars there; if you want you'll be able to see the planets, and the other galaxies. Stars will be greeting you. And you will play with them"

I said with a shaky voice...

- "Oh... that's wonderful... I can't wait... to pass the tunnel... I wish daddy and my big brother can pass it soon... to play with me too... I wish they can be having fun while I'm in that world... I really wish that... daddy and big brother, I'll be... waiting...."

Those were her last words. She laid her head on my arms, and slowly closed her big blue eyes.

I cried on silence. Alex hugged her lying dead body while crying, he was almost shouting. I leaned my head down on her.