The Forest

The children all hurried after the tall man. He had introduced himself as Tor Torson, the councillor of the town.  The two redhaired children were his niece, Nati, and nephew, Finn. Nati was to be Assa's charge.

Councillor Tor's strides were long, and Assa had to practically run to keep up.  She clutched Nati's hand, hoping she wouldn't get punished if the small child couldnt keep up.

"Nati," She wispered. "How old are you?"

The little girl looked up at her. "Four." She wispered back.

Assa groaned inwardly. Even though she was triple the girls age, Nati was still big enough that pulling her along was difficult.

They came to a stop at the end of the town. A worn path twisted through the fields, continuing through a forest and beyond. It was lit with lanterns, with a final one butted up against the enterance to the woods.

"Nati and Finn live on the other side of those woods." Councillor Tor said. "Take Nati home and make sure to return to the orphanage before the sun comes up. You should have brought a lantern."

Assa felt red rush across her cheeks. "Yes sir." She said, looking down.

She turned to say something to Tantus, but the councillor was already steering him away. It was her first day doing something new without him. Frustration and loneliness speared her stomach. She had no idea where she was going or how long it would take her. She was alone with these kids she didnt know. Getting lost in the forest would mean a death sentence if the sun came up, and she would be an outcast of anything happened to Nati.

"I guess I'll show you how to get home?" Finn said, breaking the silence.

Assa jumped out of her thoughts and stood up straight. "That would be appreciated. Thank you." She clutched Nati's hand tighter and tried her best to smile at the older boy.