Melanie

Chapter 1

     The words crumpled up and gathered in a small pile at the bottom of a mountain. A mountain that had  stretched a great distance; toppling with words of seemingly endless regret. My breath ragged and forced. My lungs folding into themselves from lack of oxygen. My heart was pumping as if on overdrive, forcing me to move forward in this horrid place. A place that only grew darker, colder, making you feel heavier, more tired. My mind glued and on hyper focus with each step, navigating where to step and when. My hope is lost, gone with my emotions of joy and excitement. The only thing that I’m left with is fear, anger, dread, and... regret. At the bottom of the mountain, crumpled up and in a pile, were once, my thoughts. Slowly withering away, day by day. Until one day, they disappear completely. Poof. Gone. No explanation, and no reasoning.

     The cold emptiness fills me with nothing but fear. There’s no hope, just fate. Breathing has come to be a struggle. It makes me wonder: “What do I have to lose if one day, I’ll be gone with the rest?”

      I can’t remember the last time I allowed a positive thought to sneak through. It’s been too long. Besides, what to do in a world of negativity? All, besides taunting, frowning, anger, rage, and disheartening others for joy. 

A sad life,

As some would say, 

Wasted away, 

Day by day.

With each step,

It gets worse,

In this world,

She’s in reverse.

     If you hadn’t already guessed, it’s a poem created by me, about me, and to me. Though, I’m sharing it with you today. Anyways, I wasn’t always like this. Just so you know. I am great full to say that, I was once normal. Yes, normal-as in, happy, and soulful. At least, I remember it that way, somewhat. Yes, and my guess is that, I wouldn’t be here today if I hadn’t done the things I have. And, with my attitude-I’d say, there’s a lot. Perhaps I stole. Maybe killed? I don’t know. I’m not sure I want to, quite frankly.

     Though, what I do remember, is that first day-waking up and not knowing where the hell I was. I still think about it, but, it feels incomplete somehow. Not just me, but the world its self. Some say it’s split, others say that they were lucky to be alive, but, me? I think it’s more than that, a disaster perhaps, or a meteorite. Something like the dinosaurs.

***

Melanie was skipping happily down the beautiful garden path. The place smelt of flowers and pollen. It was beautiful. Amazing was the only word to describe it. Melanie sat down by the old oak tree and plucked a weed from out of the ground. She then brought the weed to her lips and blew. With the force of her breath, the flower took part and the seeds went forward, catching each breath of the wind, as if it were surfing.

     Though something felt very wrong, and so she closed her eyes and pictured a silent canyon, with the walls rising up beside her. By the time she opened them, there it was. A beautiful canyon enveloped around her like the tree’s surrounding a path.

     Each step echoed on endlessly. She wondered if anyone could hear it. 

She screamed, “Echo!” And as if someone were answering, it called back: “Echo... Echo... Echo... Echo... Echo...”