Chapter One - Getting To Know Ashley

Fuckin' brilliant. I do one thing and I get sent to an all girls boarding school! Where is the fun in that?! Oh, my name's Ashley Kent by the way. My parents wanted to call me something posh like Rose but that's not who I am, so I changed it. I've got mid length black hair and a side fringe with piercing blue eyes, I like to wear eye-liner and mascara to make my eyes stand out. Other than that, I'm 100% natural. I'm not exactly goth but I do like my fair share of leather jackets and black skinny jeans. I'm quite artistic and that goes well with my middle name. Artichoke. I wear my heart on my sleeve, my motto is - Don't trust anybody, unless you want to take the risk of being lifeless. I don't follow the rules because if we did have human rights then we could do what we wanted, blatantly not. That's why I'm in this mess. It was anti - bullying week at school and the display was awful, so I put my skills to use. When I was finished I thought it looked sick, the principal did not. She claimed it was "Vandalism" and she could get me arrested. Instead, she expelled me. If I was to vandalise her, it would be a minor improvement. 

Anyhow........

I took my time packing my bag, wanting to enjoy the last of the California air. Yeah, I'm from Califonia. Big woop. There's one good point about going to Manchester in England, I've always wanted to travel. Ireland, England, France, everywhere. I'll get to see my friend I met on a trip to a university in Manchester to look at different places to go after I graduate, like that's gonna happen now. Her name's Eleanor, she has brown eyes and long hair like mine, except hers is deep brown. She has this, what she calls dedication not obsession, to One Direction. I don't like them that much. Only a few of their songs, like Diana, Happily, Strong, Through The Dark and Little White Lies. Diana and Through The Dark reminds me of the times I used to cut when my Nana died. She was the only one who understood me, thought I was normal. Little White Lies reminds me of all the times they said it was gonna be okay, but it wasn't. She was dying slowly, right before our eyes. But no one knew, except me; deep down I knew something was wrong but couldn't quite figure it out. Strong and Happily reminded me of the time when my little sister was born, a little version of Nana. When Nana left me the necklace I used to play with when I was younger, I felt like a part her was with me. I never took it off from that day. I wore it so no one could see it. My mum wanted it, but it was mine. A medium sized marble heart with grey and black swirls; reminding me of the scars on my heart, that fitted onto a white gold chain with little pearls in between every five loops. It was worth a lot, so I kept it safe. 

I quickly wiped away the tears that had slipped, fixed my make up and grabbed my things. I lugged my stuff down the stairs, collecting my airplane ticket as I said my goodbyes. Dad was friends with the principal, that's how I got in. I didn't mind leaving, it was better than being kicked out permanently. I hopped inside the taxi my dad had called for and thought:

Here goes a different path in life.