The Study of Secrets

Okay, well hi!  Thanks so much for reading my story.  It will get better, I promise.  This is my first story on Wattpad so please keep that in mind.  It might majorly suck!  I am also just getting the hang of this so please bare with me.  Critisicm is nice, just please don't be mean about!  Thanks!  Oh yeah, it might be confusing in some parts but all will be revealed!  I mean the title is THE STUDY OF SECRETS!!!!!  Pic of Melanie on the side :)

I'm gonna shut up now.  Thanks..i just want one vote and one comment.  bye!

*************************************************************************************************************************

                                                       Chapter 1: The Last of the Goodbyes

I grasped his shirt tighter, willing the tears not to fall.  His woodsy scent engulfed me, embracing me as well.  Saying goodbye.  The day had finally come.  The day where I had to say farewell to the second-most-important person in my life, Reid.

                Three years had done this to me.  Making me blink back the tears that threatened to spill.  Being the only one in my life to care for me anymore, he allowed me to cry on his shoulder and be myself when I needed him.  Which was and still is a train wreck.  He’s the only one I had.  No one was there for me, and yet he was there. My boyfriend.

                His arms encircled me and he pulled me tighter against me so that I was flush against him.  I rested my head on his shoulder and let out a shaky sigh.  We stood like that, marveling the feel of each other in our arms for a few more seconds before he decided to pierce the silence and spoke.  “We are going to make this long distance relationship work.”  He breathed, his deep voice made his chest somewhat buzz with every word of his.  “I know,” I replied, my voice a notch above a whisper so that it wouldn’t waver much.  It still did.

                “Call me when you land okay?”  He asked even though it came out more like a demand, but it lacked the harshness. “I promise,” I responded trying not to think about the nineteen hour flight ahead of me.  Every time I did, a shot of fear ran up and down my back.  I’ve never flown before because I never had a reason to leave Columbus.  Until now.

                “Good luck with football.  I wish I could stay and see your first game.”  I said honestly, the regret present in my voice wasn’t faked.  I could feel him shrug.  “It will be taped,” was his genius response.  “You do realize football, especially college isn’t big in England?  With things like soccer, rugby, and cricket, it won’t be shown.”  I reminded him and his ego.  “Oh, yeah.  Well I’ll just have to send you the tape, how bout that?”  He asked, his voice lightening up.  I smiled a bit and met his blue gaze.  “Yeh.  It’s good.”  We both sighed and I fought the urge to yell out, “jinx!”  But I held my tongue.  This was so not the time.  Silence fell upon us and he removed one hand from my waist to stroke my brown, elbow-length hair.   “I should probably,” I trailed off glumly as my heart suddenly began to weigh more.

                “Go?”  He finished for me, I knew he wore a sad smile even if I didn’t have to look up to prove it.  It was portrayed in his voice.  I bit my lip and nodded slowly.  I was afraid of what my life without my rock and anchor would be like, and at this point I didn’t want to figure out.  I thought he sensed that I couldn’t pull myself away, so he did; he took a few steps back and my arms that held him fell shamelessly to my side.