The New Concubine

It was spring and I had been scrubbing the floor when my co-worker Bo came and told me the news of the new wife to be coming to live in the palace, she told me to hurry up and scrub the floors immaculately as she would be walking on this floor. I scrubbed for my job and for my children, as I didn't want to make a bad impression on the new wife and have her fire me. I scrubbed until the floor looked like diamonds glistering in the wind and then before I knew it a lady figure appeared in the doorway. It was wobbly and had a particular essence that was captivating and you just couldn't look away. As the wobbly figure walked towards me I took a couple steps back behind the stone pillars as I knew the rule "Nor to be seen or heard" As I poked out an eye to observe the dazzling creature crippling towards the courtroom I managed to catch a glimpse of her face, it was a peculiar shape, she was very beautiful and she looked stern yet reasonable. An army of men guided the beautiful creature to the courtroom. She was so mesmerizing, I wondered about her and what I could do to please her.

I was pondering and then the head servant Feng slapped the back of my head and told me to get back to work.

As I was dusting one day, Cixi was hobbling down the palace stairs and was slipping, fast. Her bound feet were restraining her from walking properly. Cixi was panting and trying to grip the walls for balance. I knew as a cleaning girl I wasn't allowed to touch the royals and I ran to the door when "Stop!" My head snapped around. "Help me up!" She pointed at me as she was sliding to the ground.

"Rules, I can't touch the royal" I shook my head and felt saddened as I knew I couldn't help her.

"Please, help me up and I promise I'll make you my personal servant and they won't whip you!"

I checked to see if the coast was clear and really wondered if I could trust this new addition to the royal family but my brain wasn't corresponding with my actions and I couldn't stop myself from walking over there and helping her up. "Thank you very much" Cixi turned to me and bowed. "No need to thank me," I muttered as I bowed back. I helped her regain her balance and as I held her hand and walked her to the seating room, the head servant walked into the palace and saw me touching the royal.

She marched right up to me, grabbed my ear and slapped me across the face "YOU WILL NEVER EVER TOUCH THE ROYAL, DO YOU UNDERSTAND? I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE EMPEROR'S HEAD EUNUCH RIGHT AWAY" And she pulled me towards the door. Cixi sat there and fanned her feet while I was being dragged away.

Thanks so much for reading part one guys xx