Chapter 1

Her legs are folded neatly on her bed, nicely tucked under the covers reaching up to her waist. Her eyes were blank, staring straight ahead of her. A single picture hung on the plain wall facing her. The people in the picture seemed so happy, so elated, as if their friendship would never break. The girls looked as if they were the best of friends, a hand looped across each other's tiny waist, and they were smiling, their eyes filled with joy, with not a trace of resentment or hatred. The boys were grinning ridiculously, hands gripping each others' shoulders, leaning forward. They seemed boisterous, like they could commit any crime at any time. The six of them were at the beach, their feet submerged in water, a wave rearing up behind them. The picture seemed far away, taken at a time which could not be reached.

Clary let out a huge sigh, her eyes fixated on the picture. Those green orbs which hung delicately in her beautiful eyes, were only filled with sorrow and longing. It felt as if the Rebellion happened only yesterday, the gore, the blood, the death, the loss, of so many Nephilim, innocent and pure. It was a huge strike against the Nephilim kind, demons, creatures, all out, released from hell, to befall the extinction of the Shadowhunters.

Her friends died in the battle, but they stayed strong, they were resilient in the fight. She saw them slash through demon by demon, hacking their way, but she knew, a few Shadowhunters could only do so much. She had willed herself to come up of a rune, something that could stop the fight, something that would save every soul, but her fingers could not do the job. Her mind was a blank, even though she had used every ounce, every will, to think up of a rune. Regret was indescribable. So many deaths. So many. Only a few survived, but the debris and the deaths were horrifying. A few Shadowhunters walked the plains of Idris, compared to the bustling times, the noisy streets, the plentiful entertainment that they once had when everything was under control.

A tear slipped down the rough skin of her cheek. The memory pained her. The only people she had now was Jace and Jocelyn. The two people who had cared for her the most.

Clary let out another huge sigh and fell backwards into her pillow, her hand raised to her face, wiping the fallen tear which left behind a stinging trail. Grunting as she pulled herself up, she swung her legs over the side violently, and shuffled to the door, adjusting her clothes. The knob turned with a creak and she stepped into the empty hallway.