You take my hand and walk me out into the dark.

The evening chill released its clawing grip on me as I walked airily through the door. A fine young man on my arm. To my left stood an obedient suited male, hard back folders in his arms, head high and poised under the classy dimmed lights. To my right stood a surprisingly well dressed, young but greying man, with sparkling brown eyes shining as much as his polished black boots. “Table for two.” He said politely. The courteous waiter to my right simply nodded, glancing over his books. 

“Name?” His posh fake English voice sounded, looking up suspiciously, studying us.

“Mister Cassells.” A slick disgruntled nod accepted our reservation, and the short, but respectable waiter led our way to our seating. We were sat at a table in the back far corner, where we would be granted the privacy we so desired.

The room was more than elegant, high ceilings with fine glass chandeliers hanging low, cascading light over everyone. Rich red carpets lined the floor, showing the expensive but eclectic taste the restaurant owned. Mahogany tables scattered the large room, ours in particular sat two people. Each table donned a white silk cover embellished with gold threads, champaign flukes, red cloth napkins and a silver candle holder, flickering a warming intimate light over one another. To say the place had a pricey style was an understatement.

The waiter handed us a folder each, inside lay a perfectly themed menu. The meals extravagant and adventurous, the wine list unintelligible, written in foreign languages. Although my slight fluency in French, Italian was beyond my knowledge. “Wine, sir? Madam?” My eyes glanced blankly over to dear James, all dressed up for tonight, who ran his finger down the list, choosing one on pure luck. He selected one confident outwardly, though inside was clueless. The waiter disappeared behind the black smooth wooden doors into the rand kitchen and darted swiftly back with the bottle. The weird wine ritual then took place of pouring a small amount and checking it was to suitable standards. Of course James agreed. The bottle was left with us and the waiter finally gave us peace.

“So, my dear, how is the restaurant choice?”

“We don't need to act posh, do we?”

“No, thank god, anyway how's here?”

“I love it, but out of our budget a little?”

“Well it's our first proper date, I don't really do dates well so I'm trying my best.”

The waiter returned in a matter of minutes, standing eagerly at our table, watching over us as we decided to take our meal. Well I guess we were here rather early so he wasn't doing too much work but it was unsettling nonetheless.

With swift moving eyes we scanned the elegant menu. “We'll have two prawn cocktails, please.” He paused for another second. “And for later I'd love the braised lamb with the other stuff. And my lady would like-”

“Seafood tagletelli.”

“There you go then, young man.” The waiter then nodded and hustled away.

We sat opposite each other, his arm outstretched, holding my hand over the table. Eyes glinting, he watched over me.

We were basically speechless for the rest of the time. Watching one another and the surroundings until the food came. Small talk was made but we were happy in each others company enough that we didn't need to fill the silence.

“So, Melissa, all those lyrics, they really mean stuff?”

“Urm, I wouldn't ever get something not meaningful.”

“I... Oh okay...” He shifted his food around on his plate. “Because you know I really love you, and if you love Ben and whatever, tell me now. I can wait, I can give you everything, but if its him you want, then I can't be him.”