chapter 1

'Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you...

Just a year ago, videos and articles filled the internet. Fans remember how they reacted and how much pain they felt.

Phil Lester was diagnosed with cancer. People weren't able to believe it. Millions prayed for Phil online. Family and friends made post giving updates on Phil. Everyone felt hurt.

There was one person however who felt pain the most. That was Dan Howell. He remembers taking Phil to the hospital for the first time. He remembers the doctor giving him the news. He remembers breaking down and crying for days and weeks.

In the past year, Dan hasn't been uploading lately. He hasn't had the strength to make a lot of videos. He's not able to create content knowing that his best friend of seven years has been in and out of hospitals for a whole year.

Dan sits in the waiting room with his earphones in. This place is basically a second home for him. He comes here almost every day for Phil's daily check ups and chemotherapy.

"Stay alive,stay alive for me"

These lyrics make Dan think. Will Phil make it through this? Dan has these thoughts often and there's nothing he can do to stop it. You shouldn't have to wonder about planning your best friends funeral at the age of 29.

Dan believes in Phil. He believes he is strong. He won't give up without a fight. He's not going down easily knowing how many people are rooting for him.

Dan is tapped on the shoulder by one of Phil's doctors. He tells Dan that he can now see his friend. Dan nods and sighs,knowing what he'll see will break his heart.

White room.Systems.Static TV sounds. Dan arrives in the room and takes a seat. He stares at Phil who is sleeping on his bed. He's becoming more pale each day. Bags start to form under his eyes as if he haven't slept in days.

What feels like an hour has passed and Phil still hasn't woken up. Dan doesn't care though. He will stay here all night if he have to just to see and talk to his best friend.

Doctors come in to check up on Dan and Phil. They offer Dan food but he politely declines. The food there is nasty to Dan. He prefers the cooked dinners and take outs him and Phil are used to having.

Dan hears groans coming the bed. He looks over to see Phil squinting his eyes. He still has those bright blue eyes. That's one thing that hasn't changed about Phil.

Phil looks over to see Dan. He says his name in a soft,quiet voice. He walks over towards Phil and gives him a hug. Phil starts to sit up on his bed and moves over to give room Dan to sit.

He declines at first not wanted Phil to feel squished but he doesn't mind. Dan carefully lays on the bed next to Phil.They start talking about the most random things.

This is a daily thing for them now. Everyday they talk about something different. They never get bored of each other. Boredom never occurs when they're together in the hospital.

Doctor come in to talk to Phil and ask him a few questions. Dan waits patiently as Phil answered all the questions. All of this is still weird to Dan. His best friend who's only 29 has to go through all this everyday.

He is aware that this happens to people all around the world. He just has one question. Why? Why do all of these people have to go through this pain. Kids who haven't even experienced their 5th or 13th or even 1st birthday. Dan just doesn't find it fair.

•••
Doctors leave and the two just sit while silence fills the room. They just stared at each other. No words. After a while, Phil opens his mouth to say something.

Do you believe in me?

Dan gives a small smile. However, he chokes trying to say every word.

Of course I do

Both start to tear up. Dan still cries most days. He doesn't cry for a long time however. He has cried so much that tears don't come out as much as they used to.

Phil often worries what will happen tomorrow. Tomorrow is always unknown, anything can happen. His cancer can get worse or it can get better. No one really knows until tomorrow.

No matter how many questions Phil asked,Dan would never get annoyed. He is very supportive of Phil. He wanted to assure Phil that everything was going to be okay. There was one problem...

He can't

-
A.N//how did you guys like the new story? I hope you guys enjoy it! I feel like this will be my best one. I always say that but my stories always suck ass🌚

See ya later guys❤