Chapter 4

Tyra had been right; Lissem and Elain were in the kitchen where Lissem had put the next plate of quiches into the oven. Elain had of course tried one of them and found them delicious, thus getting even more on Lissem's good side.

"You sure have a lot of family and friends," Elain remarked, hoping for a safe topic. He was still cautious.

Lissem looked at Elain in surprise. "What, this little gathering? I suppose you're right, but actually a lot of people couldn't make it. And Detrallin had to remind me not to invite my old theatre friends, because then we would have had to rent out a restaurant or a small banquet hall to fit everyone in." Lissem gave Elain a glance out of the corner of his eye as he put down his oven mit and pulled a box of crackers from the cupboard to arrange on a plate. "But surely you're used to such large crowds, considering your occupation."

"Yes I'm used to them, but I'm not necessarily fond of them," Elain admitted. "And catering to paying guests or business colleagues is very different from inviting friends and family."

Lissem finished piling up the crackers and got a wedge of cheese from the fridge and began slicing it. "That's definitely true. So I take it you don't see much of your family? Do they live far away?"

Elain unconsciously fidgeted with his glass. "My only remaining relative is my brother and whatever family he may have, and I haven't seen him in ages," he said. "We didn't part on the best of terms. So forgive me if family meetings are somewhat strange for me."

Lissem paused in his arrangements to give Elain a searching look. Somehow, despite the fact that Elain was very much Lissem's senior, Lissem had the feeling that the other lifebearer was somehow still missing out on knowledge that Lissem had learned a long time ago.

That little advantage distinctly pleased Lissem.

"Family's important," Lissem replied simply as he set cheese slices on the serving platter. "Friends, too. Tyra draws people into his circle effortlessly. He always has and he always will."

"Yes, I noticed that." Elain smiled slightly. "It's a wonderful gift, and you and your son are lucky to have good people to rely on in your life."

Lissem wondered whether Elain had truly understood all that he meant about his son, but he didn't press the issue. Instead, he offered the plate of crackers to Elain. "Would you mind taking these out to the buffet? The quiches should be warm enough in just a minute or two, so I'll need to take them out."

Elain took the plate. "Of course. I should have asked you sooner if I can help you with anything, Mr. Alwick. I'm no pro in the kitchen, but I understand at least a thing or two about drinks and snacks."

"Just Lissem is fine," Lissem replied. "I don't think I know anyone at all who calls me Mr. Alwick."

"Then Lissem it is. And please call me Elain," Elain offered, feeling the ice melt between them even more. He really liked the courageous and outspoken lifebearer, and it was a relief that they were now able to talk to each other.

Elain left the kitchen with the snack plate, once again returning to the bustling living-room full of people chatting happily.

As Elain walked into the room, he immediately spotted Tyra standing in a circle of people, laughing happily with them. His young lover was bright and open with other people — he thrived on the interaction.

Distracted, Elain set the plate of crackers down and then considered his options. Should he go to Tyra, or perhaps should he offer Lissem more assistance?

However, before he could make up his mind, the choice was taken away from him.

"Ah, there you are." It was Tyra's grandfather, Elain remembered, and he had little Selvyn in his arm. "Everyone in the family has held our little darling already - except you. Don't tell me you're afraid of little babies?"