Chapter 5: A world lost

When I looked at the vampire, I could see everything passing me by. I thought back about my past. And almost instantly, I found my mind recreating memories in my mind. I was not born the same as my town mates, my parents were only simple wood elves. I was raised in a dense forest, only at 150, I came to be part of a town. My parents told me I shouldn't be part of any town. They said I was better off staying in the forest. Yet I was a childish elf, an elf who believed in good things and in peace in the world. I wanted to be part of a world of knowledge.

They were gladly to welcome me in their town, I was a specialist in herbs and they could use someone like me. If I had stayed with my parents I might have learned more. I might have become a druid. Yet I hadn't waited for it.

Even after I became part of the small town, I had chosen to stay part of nature. I would go on walks every single day. I wasn't truly a part of everyday life. I was a happy elf, I tried to cheer up everyone around me. At least I tried too. I tried to be optimistic, yet I noticed that I sometimes stopped being that in moments of stress.

The morning before the transportation was like any other. Yet it was kind of different. I talked to our leader Almer. I tried to talk about the relationship between dwarfs and elves, but didn't get very far. Another member of our town seemed to call for her. It had something to do with protection of the town. That wasn't any of my business. I wasn't a fighter. I had a dagger, but mostly used it in nature. It had never even touched any blood. I ran from fights. I simple didn't know how to fight. Sometimes I tried and I failed at it. They had tried to teach me something, yet I never seem to catch up to it.

That day was a sunny day. I chose to go in nature, I chose to go to the place I felt best. I needed to collect some herbs, I needed to read how nature was feeling. It is a strange thing, I know. Nature is something with feelings, it can react to how we move in it. If you listen to it, it can help you. I was one of the best people in reading it. I was a specialist in herbs and I was sure that I could learn more if I grew older.

That morning I loved my fingers over the plants. I felt something strange in nature, yet I couldn't put my finger to it. So I simple forget it. I started to collect some herbs. Some I was going to study. Maybe I would be able to use them in new potions. That way I could help the people. I wanted to created something that could take away pain, but I was nowhere near that. I stared at the sun and sat down in the field. I enjoyed everything. I enjoyed the sounds of nature. I enjoyed every smell.

After an hour I returned to the town. I didn't know that this day would be different. I didn't know I would be brought to another world. It started with a strange sound, everyone stared around them. They looked at each other. Then every detail became blurry. It became dark around me and the next moment I opened my eyes I wasn't in my town anymore. There was noise. The first thing I noticed were dwarves and elves attacking each other. I threw myself between them, I hated fights and I wanted that dwarves and elves could live together. I believe it, because of something that happened to me before. I heard them scream, I called out for peace. The dwarves blamed us, even if we had nothing to do with it.
I didn't truly know what was happening. I only knew the fighting stopped and we tried to live next to each other. I wanted more, I wanted elves and dwarfs to work together. I wanted them to be a group. So I tried to say things that were smart, I knew they would never agree with me. Things had happened that made them distrust dwarves. I could say anything I wanted. I would not be able to change that.
In the next few moments we put up camp. The tents were far from the dwarves. They talked about how we could make sure we were safe. They guarded the camp every moment. I hoped it would prove that the dwarves were trustworthy. There was a traveling elf with us, she had seen a lot of the world. Yet it seemed that the world traveling had shoken her up too. She also spoke words of peace. It seemed that my ideas were a bit more extreme. I believe in them.
I was always someone who believe in good things. The stress made that a bit less. I wanted to believe that everything would end well. I wanted to know how we ended up here. I tried to go back to before we were transported here.

The noise I remembered it. What had it been? Could I find it once again? Was it some kind of magic and who had started it? There were wizards in our world, but we didn't know any of them. We didn't create any enemies either.

What was the reason we were here? I thought about nature, maybe it was something nature did. I wish I could read, than I would be able to read about portals. Yet I had not been able to read just yet. I was sure I would learn it someday. elves were fast learners, so that was a good thing. We were able to learn a language in weeks.

We kept a meeting about what could have brought us here. Maybe it were the stones with the strange markings. Maybe it were humans. I had no idea.

I was in a new world and I needed to accept it, there was no other way.