The ruins

Smiling in front of me was a talking flower.

What the hell?

I blinked several times in quick succession to make sure what I was looking at was real. Confusion overtook my sense of fear and a strong urge to pluck the...creature(?) from the ground filled me. By all accounts, it was nearly identical to a regular yellow flower...aside from having a face. But how did it work? Did this flower, which seemed to have consciousness just stand(?) around in this lonely little cavern all day unable to move? Did it have some way to move? Are there others? My impression of monsters was that they were all vicious and terrifying beasts...but a flower?

Before I could make sense of the monster, it began to speak. "Howdy, I'm Flowey, Flowey the flower. Hmm...you're new to the UNDERGROUND, aren'tcha? Golly, you must be so confused." the flower said in a cheerful voice.

My eyes widened in surprise. It confirmed what I had feared; I really was in the Underground. Yet despite the dangerous situation I found myself in, the flower itself seemed, dare I say, friendly.

I was too stunned to speak, but it didn't need to mind. The flower- err, Flowey seemed to have no qualms about continuing on. "Someone ought to teach you how things work around here! I guess little old me will have to do. Ready? Here we go!" Flowey exclaimed as my surroundings became enveloped in darkness.

"H-hey wait!" I managed to stutter out in my panic but it was too late, everything grew blurred and it felt like I was being ripped away from the tether connecting me to my body.

It wasn't painful, but it was different. I felt lighter, the urge to dance filled me once again but it felt...strange. Like it wasn't just something a few humans do for fun, something that I had wanted to do...it felt like I needed to dance. A glowing heart appeared on my chest, thrumming with the urge to dance in a way I had yet to comprehend.

 "What is this?" I questioned the flower, still reeling from all the new information suddenly being thrown at me. 

"See that heart? That is your soul. The very culmination of your being. Your soul starts off weak but can grow strong if you gain a lot of DP. What does DP stand for? Why dance points, of course! You want some dance points, don't you? Don't worry! I'll share some with you! Down here DP is shared through little white, friendliness pellets. Are you ready? Move around, get as many as you can!" Flowey excitingly exclaimed. The grin plastered on his face somehow widened even more as petals filled the air, their bright colour contrasting the darkness of our surroundings. 

I could no longer contain myself, I twirl while the petals danced around me, forming a pattern and matching my steps. It felt so freeing, why did people say monsters were dangerous again? I continued to flit around with the petals when the air shifted. Something felt wrong. The air grew misty and the petals increased in volume and intensity. They had me surrounded; ready to consume me. All at once, they raced towards me.

The suddenness of the attack left me defenceless and I failed to dodge. They pierced my chest, a feeling of insurmountable pain consuming me as I fell back. 

The flower chuckled quietly for a moment before cackling maniacally. His unmoving smile twisted from kind to cruel in an instant.

Dread filled me. How could I have been so naive? I should have listened to those stories on the villainy of monsters, I should have given up on my dream of becoming a world-class ballerina and reviving the art of dance in a world that told me it was archaic and I couldn't make a future out of it. The only reason dance was so accepted in my area is because it was a small town by the mountains unnoticed by most of humankind, but even then there weren't many who cared about dance and music in general; there weren't many who cared about me.