Secrets

After being found the next morning sleeping on the same bed alone, Felix's dad made sure that the two never saw each other during the day, besides meal times. Felix trained all day, and Marzia trained all night. But being a sorcerer takes more energy than bring a soldier, so once a week Marzia's instructor gives her the night off.

Knockidy-knock knock. Knock knock.

Felix swings open his door with a grin which Marzia reciprocates, and the two quietly run down the hall to their secret room.

They stay up as late as they can stand it, talking and laughing and sharing jokes while they hold each other and clasp hands.

But they were just friends.

Until one night, three years later when Marzia is telling a story about how her brother squeezed out six bottles of toothpaste into the sink to try and fill it up, she grabs his hand. This act is normal between them, but for some reason, Felix feels his face get warm.

Why am I getting so flustered all of the sudden?

He wonders to himself. And he keeps wondering, tuning Marzia out as he questions the sudden rise in temperature and heart rate.

"I don't think I can stay awake much longer, I think I'll go back to my room now." Felix is pulled from his thoughts when Marzia yawns.

"Yeah, you should save your energy for your test tomorrow, Princess." Marzia smiles, then leans over to peck Felix on the cheek before leaving the room.

Felix stays put, his hand resting on the blessed cheek, his heart fluttering in his chest. Has this girl put a spell on him? Why does he feel so happy?

////////////////

"Felix! Where's your head? You're slacking today!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't sleep very well last night."

"Why not?"

"Uh, just too much adrenaline from the days training."

"Well we're not cutting training short so you better go to bed earlier now."

"Yes sir."

"Now wake up!"

///////////////

What is wrong with me? Why can't I focus?

Felix splashes more water into his face.

I need to see her. I need to figure out what this is.

Felix exits the bathroom and sneaks downstairs to where Marzia is training. He watches her as her eyes turn pale blue. This is when she's trying to find someone.

Marzia quickly comes out of her space and snaps her head to the door, locking eyes with Felix.

"What are you doing here?"

"Were you watching me?"

"No. I just felt your presence."

"You're a bad liar." Marzia rolls her eyes.

"So what's up?"

"Do you watch me a lot?"

"No."

"Marzia.." She rolls her eyes and sighs.

"I just like to make sure that you're safe."

"In a secured castle."

"Yes."

"Right ok."

"Ok so what did you come in here for?"

"I just wanted to see you."

"You know you're not a great liar either."

It's not really a lie.

"I wanted to wish you luck, on your test tonight."

"Oh, well thank you. You know, my instructor said if I passed, I could have the whole weekend off."

"Really? You better pass then or you owe me extra time." Marzia laughs.

"Are you doubting my skills?"

"Definitely not." They both laugh.

"Ok, well I'll let you get back to training."

"Ok, see you later." Felix waves as he exits the room and heads back upstairs to his room.

Two nights alone with Marzia. That's almost like a full day. But why does the thought of spending so much time with her, make his heart flutter?