Chapter 3

I had completely forgotten about my encounter with Skylar until a few weeks later I got a call. It was my youth group leader Madison. She told me that she wanted to talk to me about my cutting. I almost dropped the phone I was so horrified. If my parents found out I would be dead. I quickly assured her that I was fine and that there was no need for any intervention. She agreed but she said she would check my arms at the next youth group meeting and if I had fresh cuts she would tell my parents. Of course I couldn't let that happen so I rushed to my bathroom and started slathering triple antibiotic cream all over.

It was Wednesday, the day of the youth group meeting and I stood in the mirror looking myself over. I tried to pull my sleeves down, uncomfortable with how short they were. At least my cuts were barely visible. As soon as I walked in Madison called me over. She looked my arms up and down. Seeing that there were no fresh cuts she nodded her head, seemingly satisfied. "OK Meredith", she said, "since there are no fresh cuts I won't tell your parents, but I'm going to be keeping an eye on you". I let out an audible sigh of relief, my body finally relaxing. It seemed I was safe for now.