Chapter Thirty (Caspar's POV)

The bathroom door opens, and I turn around from the mirror. "Hello Caspar. We need to talk." Joe gets straight to the point, as he always does. It's the morning of the day before Valentine's Day dance.

This is unusual. He sounds sort of nervous. "Oh, uh, hey," I say. "What's up?"

"You know how Zoe and Alfie are so close? I figure we need to be more like that," he admits quietly. He quickly hardens his voice. "You know, for the sake of the mission."

"I'm doing really well by the way. Phil has convinced some of his friends to go to the dance together with their soulmates. If we're lucky, we might even have every color we need by the end of tomorrow," I tell him, excitedly.

"Good. Speaking of the dance..." He pauses and fidgets with his tank top. "Zoe and I figured it would be beneficial for us to go and watch over the colors from a distance. Alfie asked Zoella to come with him already, but..."

"Are you asking me out?" I finish for him. He begins to blush and nods, whilst trying to hide it. I grin. "Of course I'll go with you!" He breathes out in relief.

"Thank you. But no funny business! This is a serious job, and we need to watch everyone," he tells me strictly.

"Then, what was the point of asking me?" I scoff.

"You can identify them better. I don't really know what Phil's friends look like." He pauses. "And, also, I wanted to prove a point to Zoe."

"Ha, like what?" Now, I'm curious. Those siblings aren't competitive.

"I wanted to prove that I could ask you before you asked me," he mumbles. "Because we both know you were planning to."

"Was it that obvious?" I ask, with an embarrassed chuckle.

"Yes. Everybody knows you like me," he says, and crosses his arms. "Ever since we met here."

"But the positions were reversed. You were at the mirror, and I was at the door," I note. He actually smirks.

"Yeah."

"And I saw you in the halls before I really knew who you were. In fact-" I stop myself and shake my head. "Nothing. Nevermind."

"Something."

"Well, I just remembered something that I don't understand. I swear I've seen you even before that," I begin. He walks over to me. "And Zoe too."

"Did you?" He doesn't sound confused. Instead, he sounds indifferent.

"Yeah. Yeah, I did. On the news. But it was so long ago. It's kind of fuzzy, "I say, and rub my temples, trying to bring the memory forward. "You were...you were little kids. And on the news you were in a story about firefighters finding two kids buried underground. Why was that?"

"Oh, that. Zoe and I lived underground most of our lives until then. We weren't buried. Just sheltered," he says as if that's the most normal thing in the world.

"Sheltered from what?" Now, I'm even more curious.

"Zoella already let it spill that we can still see every color. So, I suppose, it wouldn't matter if I revealed a little more," he thinks out loud. "We were hidden from the government by our parents."

"Are you joking? I'm not as gullible or stupid as I look," I scoff. He looks hurt for a brief moment before his eyes go back to their usual cold blue.

"No. We were. How much do you remember prior to that news story?" he asks. Joe sits down on the bathroom floor so I figure I might as well do it too. I ignore how unhygienic this probably is.

I think for a moment. I'm surprised to realize I've come up blank. "Nothing, actually. But we were all so young. That's normal," I say. I try to assure myself that that's the case.

"How many photos do you have of your family that were taken before that news story?"

"None." Now he's scaring me. What's he going to tell me?

"That's right. Nobody knows anything about before! Nobody remembers or can see! Only Zoe and I can! We're the only real people in this fake world!" He suddenly shouts. I've never heard him shout before.

"Before? What are you worked up about?" I ask gently. I'm confused by his unusual actions.

"Caspar, didn't you figure it out yet? You've been manipulated. Changed. Everyone has. Zoella and I are the only ones who weren't. That's only because we were hidden. Our parents knew what was going to happen," he tells me. I don't understand this, but it must mean a lot to Joe.

"Magic has always been in our family. They always knew this was going to happen. They knew every last detail of the future and they wanted to protect us. They wanted to prevent us from turning into zombies like you," he continues.

"I'm so lost, sorry. What are you talking about? Zombies?" I ask.

"It wasn't always like this. It wasn't always black and white and grey. There used to be color. Every color. But, then the new leaders came and..." He begins to sob and I do the only thing I can think of. I hug him.

"Caspar, everyone could see color until those otherwordly beings came and took over. They were jealous because they couldn't. So, they snatched it away. They took color away from everyone and tried to make it seem normal by altering your brains. But there was one thing they didn't account for," he says.

"What was it?" This is a lot to take in, and I still don't quite get all of it.

"Soulmates are fueled by the power of love." And for his most unusual action of the day, he kisses me.

A/n: Hello Lights to My Darkness! I said I would get it up today, and I did. It's very late because my mother was like, 'Oh, you have tryouts today for volleyball, and surprise! SHOPPING!' I did not have my computer, or access to the wifi, so I couldn't get it done in the manor I wished. I'm really sorry for the recent short updates, but I will keep trying as hard as I can to keep writing. Also, does anyone have good tips for binding a chest, that's above average? (Like, above a B or C cup) Just wondering. Hope you like this chapter!!