Chapter 1- Carnations (Taylor)

Authour's Note: 

This is my first published story, so I would love any feedback!

~~~

A girl, my age, stands at the podium, her hand clutching a tissue fiercely, like it is a lifeline, somehow attaching her to his body, which lay in the coffin, cold and dead. I stand in the back of the room, slouched into a corner, hidden by the shadows, imagining what I would say if I was up there. Derek, I would start, looking over at his friends and family, filling my voice with pain, was my amazing boyfriend. A voice echoes me, ringing into the air of the chapel. I look up, startled, but the crowd is still staring somberly at the front of the room, where the girl is speaking.

"He was kind, thoughtful and smart," she continues, starting a train of muffled weeping from the family. I straighten up to hear her better, what in the world? Her speech goes on plainly, and her voice is exempt from any emotion. Finally, she wipes her eyes lightly and ends, "Thank you Derek, for being my one true love, and giving me the best years of my life, which I will treasure forever."

Scattered applause follows her as she walks back to her seat. The damp air has become suffocating, numbing my entire body. I'm about to burst out the door, when I notice her body heaving in her chair, her face buried in her hands. I guess the impassive girl on stage was just a cover, a mask; which, I had to admit, is what I would have done as well.

The ceremony ends shortly after and although I shouldn't, I linger around, following the girl to his coffin after most people have left.

"Which flowers should I take away?" a woman asks softly, looking bitterly at the heaping pile of flowers on his coffin. She's right, there are too many and he would've hated having all of them lying on his coffin instead of in the hands of a child in a hospital.

"Carnations," I blurt out accidentally, just as the girl replies, "The carnations."

She stares at me, her mouth frowning accusingly, but her eyes look to tired and sad to ask me. After the woman leaves too, the girl turns towards me almost reluctantly, as if she doesn't want to say anything but she has to, "Why the carnations?"

I pause, considering making up a lie, but deciding against it because this girl doesn't even know me. "They were his sister's favorites, and his house was full of them after her funeral." The volume in my voice decreases throughout the sentence, and it ends in a whisper.

I can tell my response startles her, but she doesn't move a muscle, just stares at me, "Who are you?"

I lock my eyes steadily with hers, so she knows I'm telling the truth, and say, "I'm Taylor; I was Derek's girlfriend."

~~~

Thanks so much for reading! All comments and votes are deeply appreciated :))