Chapter 5

Damian

I lay there staring up a the ceiling. The window curtains were wide open and a tiny bit of light came in. My clock said it was 6:00 A.M.

I missed school yesterday. Spent some time staying home so the pain would decrease by today.

What a wonderful first day right? Getting beat up and sent to the hospital... fun! Not.. I can already tell this was going to be a weird day.

"Time to get ready." I mumble and quickly turn to the side and get up.

"Ah!" I hiss when I feel my arm hit the headboard. It has a cast on it. It wasn't that bad of a break though, it will be healed in a about a month. My ribs had some very bad bruising and one break.

I sat up slowly and picked a sweater off the end table and put it on. I don't feel like changing my pants. I changed them last night. They still have time, I guess.

I pull my very heavy book bag onto my back and make my way towards the bedroom door.

"HOW THE HELL DID YOU FIND US!?" I hear my Dad scream. I stop at the top of the stairs and listen.

"Honey! I have a right to know where the hell my family is!" My Mother... how did she find us? I don't want to see her, hear her, think about her ever again. She was terrible to us.

"No you don't when you're a lowlife bitch!" I heard my Dad yell at her and a loud stomping sound afterwards.

"DAMIAN!? I'm here!" I heard my Mom yell. "DAMIAN!"

"Get out!"

"YOU CANT KEEP ME FROM MY SON!"

She finally comes into sight at the bottom of the stairs and smiles up at me. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack seeing her.

"There you are! My boy!" She smiles and starts walking up the stairs. She makes it up halfway before I bolt in the other direction towards my bedroom.

"Hey! Wait!" She calls after me. I hurry and lock my bedroom door to keep her out. I hear her messing with the door know and loud banging.

"DAMIAN! Let me in right now!"

"Leave him alone! If you don't leave right now I'm calling the police on your ass!" I start to hear muffled arguing from the other side of the door and I take that as my chance to escape.

I run towards the window and throw my book bag down. It is a high jump but it won't kill me. I don't care if it hurts. I need to be anywhere but here right now. I finally sit on the windowsill and jump down.

"Ah!" I groan and hold onto my leg when I feel a jolt of pain go through my leg. I stand there and rock myself back and forth in a fetal position until the pain subsides.

I finally make my way to my feet and run around the side of the house. I frown when I see the familiar greenish-blue van my Mom always drives. I run past it and across the street to Ashton's house. I still hear arguing going on from my house.

I walk up the cobblestone pathway that is lined with a large variety of different flowers. I reach the large front double doors to their house and I stop and hug myself for warmth.

"Hello?" I speak up and knock at the door. I knock a few more times until the lights inside turn on and the front door swings open showing a half naked Ashton in only boxer shorts. I can't help but stare.

"Damian?" He yawns and rubbing his eyes. He blinks a few times and gets a better look at me.

"Ah man! You look terrible." He looks at the cast on my arm and the somewhat faded bruises on my face.