Chapter two

Freed sat at the bar with Lucy. The two discussing a book they'd recently read. Makarov watched them from the second floor. Makarov had made a promise long ago to Freed's mother that he would protect the boy, and help him start a new life.
If only you could see your son now Daleen, he thought to himself.
Daleen Justine was old friend of his from the country of Stella. She came to Fiore with Freed when he was fourteen and asked him to take him in. She told him that there was an evil side to his magic, an evil side that someone wanted to use. Makarov clenched his fists at the thought of the man who had caused Daleen and Freed so much pain. He'd protect Freed from him. The guild hall doors suddenly burst open, distracting Makarov from his thoughts. There in the doorway stood general Claw and Scorch with twelve other wizards. Freed eyes widened in shock at the two familiar faces.
How'd they find me?
Freed stood up and hid behind a pilar without anyone seeing him.
" So this is the fairy tail guild," Scorch mused.
" Who are you, and what do you want?" Grey asked.
" Where are my manners! I'm general Scorch, and my associate here is general Claw. We are members of the guild demon heart."
Makarov's eyes widened. Daleen had told him demon heart was the guild that wanted Freed...
" You are not welcome here!" He yelled.
He walked down to the first floor.
" I'd suggest you leave now," Makarov threatened.
" But we've traveled all the way from Stella to get here, you could at least show us some hospitality," Scorch said sarcastically.
" Enough of this Scorch," Claw said roughly.
" We did not come here to talk."
" What exactly did you come here to do then?" Erza asked, ready to fight.
Claw turned to her.
" To retrieve something, or should I say someone who belongs to our guild. Apparently he's a member of your pathetic guild."
" Who ever it is you want your not getting them!" Natsu yelled, his fist engulfed in flames.
" Who is it that you want?" Mira asked aggressively.
Just then Freed, who had managed to get close to the intruders without being seen leaped out drawing his sword, aiming at Claw. Claw reacted quickly. He pulled a dagger from his belt and blocked the sword. The blades clashed, and the two made eye contact. Freed jumped away, taking a fighting stance.
" That's who we're looking for," Scorch grinned.
" Freed! Get back!" Makarov yelled.
" I'm not doing that master."
" You stubborn idiot!"
Makarov's glare turned from Freed to the generals. Claw held out a hand.
" Make this easy and come home with us Freed. That way no one will get hurt."
Pure hatred could be seen in Freed's eyes.
" I'm not going back, never! This is my home!" Freed yelled in anger.
" You know these people Freed?" Evergreen asked in confusion.
" That I do," Freed answered, without turning to her.
" Oh? You haven't told them?" Scorch asked in amusement.
" Well then maybe I should explain. We are from a dark guild known as demon heart in the country of Stella. Freed here was once a member. He was our most deadly weapon, that is until his mother ran off with him."
Scorch said the last part with a look of disgust.
" It's taken us thirteen years, but we've finally tracked you down Freedie."
" You're not taking him," Makarov said angrily.
" I promised his mother I'd protect him, and I'm not about to go back on my word."
" And you also have the thunder legion to worry about," Bickslow chimed in, his usual grin replaced by a frown. He, Evergreen, and Laxus stood in front of Freed. Then Levy stood with them, then team Natsu, then Juvia, Cana. Eventually all of fairy tail was standing between the wizards of demon heart and Freed. Freed's eye widened.
I shouldn't be surprised...
" I don't want to drag you into this!" He yelled.
" And we won't just stand by and let them take you!" Laxus yelled back.
" I think we've been here long enough," Claw said calmly.
" If it's a fight you want, then it's a fight you'll get. Hawk claw!"
Claw's hand glowed white and he attacked Lucy, Gajeel, Juvia, Max and Warren, the blow sending them into the wall.
" My turn!" Scorch yelled joyfully, a smile on his face.
" Wild fire!"
Red flames engulfed his hands then flooded the entire room, burning almost everyone.
" Heaven's wheel!" Erza yelled. Claw and Scorch dogged the swords, but the others who'd come with them did not. Claw made a break towards Freed who readied his sword. Then all of a sudden a cloaked figure dropped from the ceiling between the two and uppercut punched Claw.
" Angle light," the figure said calmly, and a white crescent beam sent Claw into the wall. A light mist was coming off the figure.
I know that magic, Freed thought.
" It can't be..." Claw said in disbelief.
" It's her," Scorch growled, showing intense hatred.
" I suggest you leave," the figure, who was a woman, said threateningly.
Without another word the members of demon heart left. Everyone turned to the woman.
" Who are you?" Levy asked.
The woman smiled, then pulled down her hood. Green hair fell out behind her, and brown eyes gazed warmly.
" I'm Daleen Justine."
" Mother!"
Freed dropped his sword and ran to her. The two embraced.
" My little boy," Daleen said softly.
" You've grown so much."
" I've missed you," Freed said to her after they'd pulled away.
" What have you been doing all these years?"
" After leaving you here I returned to Stella and became a the commander of the king's Royal guard. I've been keeping an eye on demon heart, and when I discovered they'd left for Fiore I had a boat prepared to come here."
" It's good to see you alive and well Daleen," Makarov said.
" Same to you. Thank you for taking care of my son."
Then she hit him on top of his head.
"Ow! What was that for?!"
" For disappearing with my son for seven years!"
Everyone sweat dropped.
" Excuse me, Mrs. Justine?" Daleen turned to Wendy.
" Yes dearie?"
" What do they want with Freed?"
A grim look fell upon Daleen's features. She let out a soft sigh.
" I'm ashamed to say that I was once a member of demon heart. I used to not care about the people we hurt or killed. It wasn't until I had Freed, and the master of the guild tried to turn him into a living weapon that I realised that what we doing was wrong."
Freed placed a hand on her shoulder.
" Unfortunately he did succeed into turning me into a living weapon,"
Freed continued.
" He'd given me a form know as demon king, giving me control over all demons, and he'd have control over me."
" I placed a seal on Freed's demon king form, so unless it is broken, which would be incredibly painful, he cannot use that form," Daleen finished.
" Why didn't you just run away?" Natsu asked.
Lucy and Erza the hit him.
" Ow!"
" We did run away," Freed said.
" But..."
" But what?" Max asked.
Freed sat down.
" I had a little sister named Clover. She was only twelve when it happened..."
" Freed?" Laxus sat next to his boyfriend, and placed a hand on Freed's shoulder.
Daleen continued," as we were escaping we ended up surrounded, and the guild master had caught Clover. He showed no sympathy when he killed her."
Everyone stared in shock.
" I lost my only daughter."
A tear ran down her cheek.
" And on top of that I missed out on half of my youngest son's life."
" You had no choice but to leave me," Freed said in an attempt to put her at ease.
" At least you were able to look after Alistair."
" But-
" No buts. Your a wonderful mother and I'm proud to call myself your son."
Daleen gave him a small smile.
" You always know what to say. And speaking of your brother he should be here by tomorrow."
Freed's eyes lit up.
" Your brother's not over protective, is he?" Laxus asked Freed.
" He is."
" Crap."
" Why would that matter?" Daleen asked.
Her eyes widened as she suddenly realised why. She grabbed Freed and pulled him away from Laxus, hugging her son to her chest.
" You're not allowed to date anyone until I've approved of them," she told Freed while glaring at Laxus.
" Mother, I'm twenty, technically twenty-seven, I think l'm allowed to date whoever I want."
" Nope, and I'm sure your brother will agree with me." 
Laxus sweat dropped.
" An over protective mother and brother," Bickslow said with his usual grin.
" You're not gonna survive the week Laxy."

-demon heart HQ-

" What do you mean you failed to retrieve him?!" The master yelled at the two generals bowing before him.
" She was there," Claw said.
" Daleen Justine."
The master froze. 
" Then I guess I'll have to help you on your next attempt," the master growled.
" We'll show fairy tail, and Daleen that you shouldn't take what's mine."