Princess

After a long dress rehearsal, my feet were killing me. Me, Nora, and Ashley were getting ready to go to sleep. They were sleeping over tonight and staying with me until tomorrow night. We weren’t staying up late though.

It was already midnight by the time we got home from rehearsal, so we were about to crash. “That rehearsal killed.” Nora said, putting an ice pack on her feet. “I know, right?” Ashley and I said together.

“But we all danced well, except for Mia tripping as she exited.” Nora chuckled. “Hey! In my defense, I tripped over one of the extras. She was in my way!” I said, whacking Nora with a pillow. We all laughed and Ashley said, “Guys, I am so tired. Let’s go to sleep.” “Okay.” Nora and I said, each settling into a couch. “Night, girlies!” I said.

We woke up at about noon. We ate some fruit, put on our Juicy sweatshirts and my mom drove us to the spa. We got facials and massages.

They brought us smoothies and snacks. “I am so energized for tonight!” I said as we were eating. “Me too!” Ashley said. “Me three!” Nora said. We toasted with our smoothies and laughed. Tonight was going to be perfect.

I looked in the mirror. My hair was french-braided and I had a tiara on. I had on a light pink tutu and an embellished bodice. I was so lucky. This ballet was for the senior ballet company, which me, Nora, and Ashley had luckily gotten into. It was usually for ninth grade and up, but they made an exception for us.

And here I was. Eighth grader playing the main role, which would usually be played by a sophomore or junior. This year, no girls were graduating. I couldn’t believe my luck.

“Kiara, are you ready?” Laurie said, coming into my dressing room. She looked at me and said, “You look beautiful.” She gave me a light hug. “Thank you. I’m ready.” I said with a smile.

“Good. You’re on in about fifteen minutes so start warming up.” She said with a smile, “I just wanted to say this before I get all mean and nervous; I am so proud of you, Kiara. I know you were going through a rough time when you first started dancing, but now here you are: playing the main role in a senior ballet. That is a huge accomplishment.” She smiled again.

“Break a leg,” She said. “Thanks,” I said, smiling at her. She left the room and I started warming up my feet. I went up and down on my shoes and did all of my exercises until I was called to the stage. Taking a deep breath and clearing my head, I walked out of my dressing room, ready to dance.

The music played as the extras came on stage to bow. Everyone else came out, small groups at a time. Once the witch had bowed, it was my turn. The prince came out and I ran out onto stage next to him. He spun me and lifted me into the air.

I bowed and  the whole company held hands as the curtain went down. Everyone ran toward their friends, hugging and giggling. I ran up to Nora and Ashley. I hugged them. “We did it!” I said. “I know!” They said.

Nora said, “KiKi, you were absolutely amazing out there!” “Awe, thank you! You guys were great too!” I said, leading them over to the door to the house, “Let’s go greet our adoring fans.”

We followed the other dancers out into the house. As I made my way over to my parents, everyone was congratulating me. Once I got to my parents, I hugged my parents and they gave me flowers.

Nora, Ashley, and I’s parents wanted a picture so we smiled and took the picture. I was talking excitedly with Nora and Ashley when I looked over and saw him.

Not again. He motioned for me to come over to him. “I’ll be right back.” I said. I walked over to him. “What are you doing here?” I asked. “I came to see you dance. You were amazing.” He said with a smile. “Uh, thanks.” I tried to give him a smile.

He took off his sunglasses. He hugged me. I had no choice but to hug back.

“Kiara, I was trying to explain at the beach, but we were interrupted. I just-” “It’s Cody Simpson!” A girl yelled. A bunch of girls and dancers were coming our way, again. His hood had fallen off so they all knew it was him.

They all came up to him, asking for autographs. He ran and they chased him. I was left standing there. I looked in the direction they ran and saw Cody signing autographs in the lobby.

He just ruined my night. He quickly forgot about me, again! I went to my dressing room. It was the beach all over again. I started to cry. I heard a knock on my door.

“Kiara, are you alright?” Laurie said, coming in. “Yeah, I’m fine.” I said, wiping away a tear. “Well, I don’t think so.” She gave me a hug.

“It’s really nothing.” I said when she broke off the hug. “Alright.” She said, “I just came to tell you how exceptional you were tonight.” “Thank you.” I said with a smile.

“Everyone was raving about you! There were so shocked that you’re only in eighth grade, with minimal dance experience, and you danced just as well as our most experienced dancers!” She said excitedly. “Yeah, that’s what everyone was telling me!” I said, smiling again.

“Well, I better get back out there. Some popstar is here and the girls are going nuts!” She said and left the room. Why couldn’t Cody just go away?