Chapter One- Horror Night

"My mother once told me that in order to achieve great things, one must take great risks. That's why she's dead and I sit in a position of power. I believe that the best way to achieve great things.... is with trickery and deception." - Celine Aserdale

     I sat down at the table near the window in the cafe. It was a cloudy afternoon, the lights cast shadows onto the floor. This was the last place I saw Sebrina, we got some coffee here before she left for college. That was three years ago, and I have only seen her once since then. On a Skype chat of all things.

     We had some memories at this place. After my parents disappeared when I was only in fifth grade, I developed a habit of coming here to escape the house. Eventually, Sebrina decided we should move out of our childhood home and into an apartment instead. It was probably for the best.

     Three years really seems like a long time for not seeing someone so close to you. What would she think of me? What is she like now? She was always cheerful and happy, although I know that she cried alone in her room when she thought I wasn't listening. It must have been tough for her, a girl in eighth grade having to take care of her little brother by herself.

     What she will say to me? I'm actually surprised she said she'd show up without me having to explain to her what it is I want to talk about. She is probably busy in order to take care of both of us, but hopefully that won't have to be for any longer. If she can help me with managing my expenses and hopefully career options, I won't be reliant on her anymore.

     The door opened, a tall man with a brown coat walked in, the bell on the door released a loud ring that echoed throughout the small, empty cafe. The man was quite peculiar, with glasses missing a lense and he held what appeared to be a playing card.

     He walked up to the working employee, spoke a few words, and tried to hand her the card. She looked confused, then shook her head no. The man appeared to insist, then left the card at the counter before leaving. The employee picked up the card, then looked around the cafe. She shrugged and pocketed it.

     Probably just another crazy person running around, there's no shortage of them nowadays. The employee went back to focusing on her job. I looked up at the sky, the clouds gave an eerie effect to the color of the world. As if the sky was disappointed with me. Maybe I'm asking too much for Sebrina to come today? If only I knew what job she had, I might have been able to time this meeting better.

     "Excuse me?" I turned away from the window and saw the employee staring at me. "I'm sorry but you told me that you would wait on your order until your company would arrive? That was fifteen minutes ago."

     She gave me a small smile, "Are you sure you don't want to order right now? Or that your company is even coming?"I guess the time had went by fast without me realizing it, Sebrina was late.

     "Um, I will just have a black coffee, thank you." I tried to smile but it turned out into an awkward expression. She sighed and went behind the counter. I kind of felt bad for her, I sit in the restaurant doing nothing for fifteen minutes only for my order to be a single coffee.

     The door opened again, the bell ringing and echoing, as if mocking the empty cafe. It was Sebrina, and she looked as refined as ever. She gave a warm smile as she turned in my direction. A wave of relief went through me.

     She came over to my table, "Jake! It's been too long! I'm so sorry that I'm late, my friend had to borrow some notes last night and she lost them so I tried to redo them quickly this morning but lost track of time." She set down her bag took off her coat.

     "You've grown a bunch! Give me a chance will you?" I stood up and gave her a quick hug, it seemed that she was doing well.

     "So how have you been?" she said as we sat down across from eachother.