Identity Crisis

"Now is really not the time for puns, Chat." Ladybug scolded, only to be met with a wide, toothy grin. She scoffed and latched her yoyo onto a building nearer the Akuma, and took off. Chat followed shortly after.

   Gray, however, had no idea whatsoever what she was doing. She pulled out her whip, testing its weight in her hands. The gem on the end could act sort of like Ladybug's yoyo, right?

Gray huffed. Only one way to find out.

Taking the handle of the whip in one hand, she swung it over her head in a circular motion. It was easier than she'd anticipated. She swung it with all her strength toward the Akuma.

Gray yelped as the whip latched on to the rail of a balcony and seemed to pull her from her position. She held on for dear life as she swung over the road, barely missing death by asphalt scrapes, and landed precariously on the very edge of the balcony. She shook in fear and dared to look down. Gray was quickly paralyzed with fear as she beheld the horribly steep drop right behind her. How was she supposed to help if she was afraid of heights?

   Gray's left wolf ear twitched. A scream. She turned to see Ladybug almost being stabbed by the Akuma's...huge microphone? Her face twisted into a snarl, and a growl subconsciously seeped out from her throat. She was going to serve her purpose.

She began to swing her whip again. This time she hit right where she wanted- the Akuma's leg.

It didn't stop the Akuma, though. Gray screamed as the whip pulled her off the balcony again. She turned frantically back to Ladybug.

Only, Ladybug wasn't there.

Chat lay in her place, blood clearly visible even from such a distance. Gray pieced together what had happened: he'd sacrificed himself again. There were so many videos just like this on the Ladyblog. Gray snapped back to attention. Ladybug was safe. She could heal whatever damage was done, surely. Gray wouldn't allow herself to think of anything else.

She stuck out her leg, making contact with the Akuma's shinbone. Gray looked up to get a full view of the Akuma.

She looked like a sick, twisted Nadja, with milky fangs and snakelike eyes, and for some reason, dark purple skin. Her hair had turned to tentacles, holding miniature notepads and reporters' mics. She held a huge, elongated microphone in her right hand.

 She hissed. "Le Journaliste, here to report the death of not two, but THREE new superheroes!"

Gray dodged the butt of Le Journaliste's long microphone-staff. She figured that the Akuma would probably be in Nadja's huge mic.

"Ladybug!" She yelled at the top of her lungs. "The microphone...staff...thingy! Get ready!"

She didn't see if Ladybug was listening or not before pouncing forward, nabbing the staff in her teeth. Le Journaliste's scream meant nothing to her as she dropped down on all fours and pounded towards the nearest building, feeling her muscles burn from the unusual movements. Surprise faintly glowed in the back of her thoughts as she bounded straight up the wall of a small bakery- The Dupain-Chengs', to be exact- and alighted on the rooftop. She let go of the staff, instead opting to hold it in her hands, and stood up. She snapped it in two on her knee, having seen enough of Ladybug videos to know vaguely what to do.

   The butterfly was free, and Gray finally took a deep breath. They were safe. Ladybug would purify the Akuma and all would be well.

   She waited for a couple seconds. Ten. Fifteen. What was she waiting for?

   Gray turned to see Ladybug dangling from a hundred little tentacles, a look of rage and terror mixed on her face. Gray panicked. She pulled out her whip, looking at the gem on the end. Maybe...?