Eleven

I began to silently pray as I got into Max’s car, without saying anything he took my hand in his and squeezed it and his silent kind gesture immediately affected me, I put my head into my hands and I started to cry.

“Don’t cry Rach,” he whispered as he pulled me into his chest, “we don’t even know what’s happened yet and you know Jason, he is tougher and luckier than the average wolf.”

I feel guilty; the last time I had spoken to him I had been harsh and I had been mean. I had never been mean to Jason in the whole of my life; I don’t know what came over me at that moment to make me say those words to him.

Charlie

Shut up wolf.

Max started the car and we drove off towards the hospital.

“The last time I spoke to Jason I shouted at him, I told him I was sick of him.” I needed to unburden my guilt onto someone and I turned and looked at Max as the tears spilled down my cheeks.

He squeezed my knee and without taking his eyes off the road he simply whispered “I know; he called me; he tried to call you back but you had switched off your phone and he asked me if I knew where you had gone.”

I remained silent

“Did he come off his bike while he was looking for me?”

“No he had decided to let you have some space and he was on his way to Jennies. He asked me to try and find you.”

He sighed at me, “where you really on a date Rachael?”

“Can we do this later Max; my brother is in the hospital.”

“Yeah sure sorry,” he said but he did not look very happy.

“I can’t believe someone cut his break leads. Who would do that?”

“I think probably the same people that attacked your house Rachael and I have no idea who or why.”

Tell him about the vampires Rachael; tell him about Charlie Rachael and see what he thinks.

But I thought about what Charlie had told me.

“I told you they were curious and I have been with them all afternoon Rachael. Do you think I would attack your house?”

I believed him; the dog can go to hell.

“Do you think Jennie’s husband is doing it?”

“That does make sense, maybe that’s why they wore masks because we know what her husband and his friends look like. I don’t understand why he would start again after all this time; it’s been around fifteen years now since they last beat Jason up. That was one hell of a fight, Jesus, I remember being in it.”

So did I, because I was with Jason when they jumped him.

Jason was eight years older than me and I followed him everywhere and bless him he did not mind; apart from when he went to Jennies, I was not allowed to go; mother forbid it. It was a nice day and we had been bike riding in the park in a private special place built for wolves so we would not draw attention from any other kind. He bought me an ice cream and we sat on the grass talking when suddenly Jason’s expression fell and his face became like stone. “Let’s go.” he said standing up.

“But we just sat down Jace.” And then I turned and I saw what he was looking at it was Jennie’s husband and his friends and they were heading our way.

“Get up Rachael.” I quickly scrambled to my feet and as we walked over to our bikes, Jennies husband Dennis or Denny as his friends called him began to run towards us.