Part 6: Nightmares

Sirius's POV

I only woke up because she kicked my leg.

She nearly rolled out of my arm's reach and off the bed, but I grabbed her just in time. I rolled her over onto her back and shook her gently, attempting to wake her up.

"Come on, Red," I muttered.

Her eyes shot open as she took a deep breath in. I sat back in relief, choosing to ignore the tears in her eyes for the moment. Cassio stared at me for a few seconds as she woke up completely.

"Sirius?" She whispered, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Hey, love," I replied. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she sniffed, turning away from me.

"Don't tell me you're 'fine'. I don't like it when you lie to me like that," I chastised gently, reaching across her body and rolling her over to face me again.

"I'm fine, Sirius," she insisted, rolling over and burying her face in her pillow.

"Do you want a hug?" I asked gently.

"No."

I lied down again, facing her even though she had turned away from me. Slowly, I wrapped my arms around her and gave her a hug. She stiffened immediately, obviously not wanting me to hug her.

After a few moments, she relaxed into the hug. The room was silent as we both lied there, neither of us wanting to speak. Cassio was the one to finally break the silence as she let out a strangled sob. I didn't even have a chance to react as she rolled over to face me and bury her face in my bare chest.

I gently rubbed her back as she cried.

"It's gonna be alright, Red," I whispered. "It was just a dream."

"But it wasn't," she sobbed. "It was another fucking memory."

I winced. "How bad was this one?"

She took a moment to answer.

"One of my foster moms before I came here was always a bloody angel to me," she started, scooting closer to me. "But tonight, I watched her get murdered."

I didn't know what to say. Instead of speaking, I picked up one of her hands and rubbed it absentmindedly.

"It was a Muggle who killed her. He stabbed her right through the fucking stomach."

She sniffed, rubbing her eyes with her free hand.

"I think he might of been under the Imperius Curse, but the memory wasn't very clear. And I was hiding in a bunch of damn shrubbery. I could hardly see a thing."

"Merlin, Red, I'm sorry," I whispered, staring into her bright icy blue eyes.

"I just wish I didn't have to remember this shit when I'm trying to sleep. I just want it to stop," she sighed, closing her eyes.

"I'll fight off the nightmares tonight," I murmured, kissing her hand softly.

••••••••••••••••••

She must have only woken up because I kicked her leg.

"Sirius," she whispered, cupping my face in her hands. I stared at her, attempting to forget the nightmare I had just escaped.

"I'm sorry for waking you, love," I replied, clearing my throat.

"No, don't be," she whispered sweetly. "I didn't want you to stay asleep through that."

"I'm okay now, I swear," I promised, lying through my teeth.

"Are you sure?" She asked, relaxing a little bit.

"Of course. I'm Sirius bloody Black."

She smiled at me, only visible in the dark room because of her close proximity to my face.

"Alright then."

With that, she lied her head down again, resting it on my chest. My eyes slid closed, focusing on the feeling of her breaths against my skin.

"This time, I'll fight off the nightmares," she said quietly.

A/N: Oops??

I swear, I've been meaning to update for ages.

I'm hoping to have a chapter for DMMLY ready to post after this weekend. I really am trying to get this shit written.