Chapter 23

I had the most killer headache in the morning. Only this time I knew it was self-inflicted. The pounding in my head reminded me why drinking in excess was bad. I forced myself out of bed and into the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. I turned on the light and squinted at the brightness, quickly turning it back off.

I felt like there were tiny little creatures dancing around on my brain. I gripped the sides of the sink and swore I would never drink again. I fished through my stuff, hoping to find some aspirin. When I found the bottle I popped the lid, filled a glass with water from the tap, then I took two tablets. I sat down on the toilet and pressed my forehead against the cool porcelain of the bathtub. It felt amazing.

I sat there like that, hunched over, head resting coolly for a few minutes before I toughed it up and made myself stand. I picked up my toothbrush, applied the desired amount of toothpaste, and brushed softly and slowly and thoroughly. After I spit and rinsed, I hung the toothbrush up in its proper holder and examined my teeth in the mirror. I ran my tongue over them seeing if I could feel sharp points, or fangs. Nothing. Next I washed my face. The cold water felt good on my skin, refreshing. When I was done, I stared at my reflection in the mirror, watching the green eyes that looked back at me.

I wondered what they would look like if they glowed. I squinted hard, concentrating, trying to make them glow. "Ella? What are you doing?" my mom startled me.

"Nothing," I said, a little embarrassed.

She just smiled. "I was about to order breakfast. Are you hungry?"

I clenched my stomach, wondering if it was safe to eat. "Maybe just some cereal." She smiled again, understanding, and walked back in to the living room without another word. I looked down and just then realized I was wearing pajamas. I didn't remember changing last night so I just assumed my mom put these on me after I passed out. I grabbed a sweatshirt and headed out to the living room. It was empty, quiet. "Where is everyone?" I asked, almost positive this place was packed with people last night. I scratched my head, thinking, how drunk was I?

"Hmm?" my mom said.

"Weren't there a bunch of people here last night?"

"I'm surprised you even remember that," she teased.

I looked down, embarrassed. "Uh...yeah...um, about last night..."

"Already forgotten," she said, waving it off and handing me a cup of coffee. "I was young once too, you know." She eyed me with a smirk and flicked my chin.

"Does dad know?" I cringed at the thought. I was in enough trouble with him as it was and wasn't in the mood for a lecture.

"No, he doesn't. We'll just keep this between you and me. No need to upset your father."

"Thanks, mom. Where is dad?"

"Your father and the guardians left early this morning and will return later this evening. So it is just us girls today."