desperate times call for desperate measures

Flatbush, Brooklyn · Monday, April 16, 1990

DYEMONDDYMELEIGH

"Good morning New York City! This is your hostess with the mostess, Mr. Magic and Fly Ty kickin' it with Marley Marl behind the turntables. This is 107.5 WBLS, and today we have Hip-Hop and R&B supergroup BBD, otherwise known as Bell Biv DeVoe in the building! Welcome to Rap Attack, fellas." Mr. Magic announced over the airwaves, shortly followed by a round of applause and noisy howls of excitement.

"Ay, man thanks for having us." Mike responded once the noise had subsided.

"Now, you three just recently released the first single from the debut album called "Poison." Fly Ty stated.

"Yeah." The trio responded.

"Y'all definitely bought something new to the table with this one, take it from me. Let's get into depth about what the song "Poison" is really about."

"Thank you, thank you," Ricky spoke. "Um, well our single "Poison" is basically just saying— for the fellas out there— to be very wary of who you fall in love with. I believe I can vouch for all of us when I say that the last thing we would want is to fall in love with a female that's only committed to a relationship for the riches. A relationship is much deeper than a simple wine and dine."

"Amen to that! Now, y'all originally flew out here to the Big Apple to announce an upcoming video audition being held for the single, correct?"

"You heard right, Ty. The auditions are actually taking place in Miami, Florida this coming Friday at the Fontainebleau hotel, 12 p.m. through 2 p.m. Ladies, you must be 18 years or older to be accepted." Ronnie announced.

"I guess y'all are gonna need those venomous woman after all, ay?" Fly Ty chuckled contagiously, causing everyone else to do the same.

"Alright, well we're about to get into this new single by BBD called "Poison." We'll be back with more Rap Attack--"

A deep sigh of annoyance managed to escape my lips once my fist came in contact with the snooze button of the alarm clock sitting beside my mattress on the hardwood flooring. Regret immediately consumed me, hearing my 9-month-old son, Caden wailing from his crib.