Lost, Then Found (PART 1)

LOUIS POV:

The typical rush hour. People were packed on the sidewalks, cars honking in the street. I tried to squeeze past the many unfamiliar bodies, tightly clutching the bag that held my groceries. I looking at the people as I walked past, something which had become a habit, especially when there were so many happy couples amongst me. Seeing them made me feel a cringing bitterness and empty feeling in my heart. There was a hollow, a piece missing that could never be filled, a dark cloud forever raining over my head.

It’s been two years since she’s been gone.

I remember that night like the back of my hand.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

FLASHBACK

I looked down at my watch. Any second, and she would be home. We hadn't seen each other for the entire day.

The rain outside pelted the window, leaving outside barely visible. I watched the clock as time went by, waiting for the moment she would walk through the door. Seconds, minute passed, soon and entire hour went by. My stomach knotted, and I began to worry. She should’ve been here a long time ago.

Don’t panic, Louis, I kept on trying to reassure myself, she probably is in heavy traffic, that’s all. 

I tried calling, however, I never got an answer, and it always went straight to her voice mail.

When another hour passed, I knew something wasn't right. I still tried to remain calm, waiting for Jane to walk through the hallway, telling me about her day, then explaining why she was late, settling my fears.

But that moment never came.

Frantically, I called the police.

END FLASHBACK

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

I soon reached the space where my car was parked, and crossed the street to the lot where my black Porsche was waiting patiently waiting for me to drive it home.

Only just a few more yards away, I picked up the pace, not really paying attention to where I was going, when I bumped into an equally unsuspecting person.

“Oh, I’m sorry, please forgive me.” A small, soft voice came from the patron I ran into.

The female looked down, causing a curtain of her brown hair to cover her face.

“No harm done, and it was my fault actually, I was in another world." I let out an awkward laugh, and the girl looked at me.

My breathing hitched.

My heart stopped.

I went pale.

And all of a sudden, I was consumed by a terrible headache.

It couldn't be......

She was alive! I just knew it!

I looked at her face to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, to make sure she was for real.

I couldn't beleive it. I was lost for words, so I waited for her reaction. But she just stood there and looked up at me, she didn't run into my arms, or greet me with kisses full of longing. We haven't seen each other in two years, and yet it was if she doesn't even know me!

It was all wrong, how could Jane not remember me?

I once again focused back on her, and she shifted uncomfortably.

I filled the empty air, stuttering.

“W- well, I g- guess I’ll be going n- now,” was what I managed to say as I awkwardly shoved my hands into my pockets.

She tucked some of her hair behind her ear, softly replying,

“I guess so. Goodbye —?”

She waited, the silence lingering, before I got her hint.

“Oh! Louis. My name is Louis.”

She nodded, and softly smiling she said, “Goodbye, Louis.” With that, she walked away, to where her own car was parked.

This was definitely not goodbye.

I already lost you once, and I’m not gonna lose you again, Jane. 

And to ensure that, there was only one thing to do.

Follow her.