Part 4

There's a party at my parents' friend's house, and Lucy and I have to come along, even though she's wailing in protest. I think my parents are trying to prove a point, that now we're a "whole" family again, we can start acting like a normal one. Whether they want to prove that to everyone else or to themselves, I'm not sure.

Of course it's all small talk and cooing over Lucy and mediocre pastas on paper plates, and it wasn't going to be anything else until I hear a familiar voice.

"Hey, Avery!"

It's Nico.

He grins and slaps me on the back. "Good to see you again! What's up? Oh, hey, there's your sister! Or cousin. Or whatever. She is so CUTE! Man, I wish I were you and got to live with her! If you do live with her, or whatever."

He leads me into a quiet corner of the backyard. "So, what's up? Tell me EVERYTHING."

I try to think of simple ways to answer, but none come to mind.

Nico frowns when he sees my expression. "What's wrong?"

All I can do is shrug.

Nico is all seriousness now. "I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me anything. I understand. It's personal. I'm sorry. I talk too much."

I don't know what to do. So I tell him. I tell him about Maya, and how we were the typical happy suburban family, and the car crash, and now Lucy, and it's the first time I've said it all out loud, and I start crying. I can't help it.

Nico hugs me. "It's O.K.," he says gently. "My mom died when I was eight. My brother has to take care of me. He had to throw away his freedom, his youth, be a parent at twenty, all because our mom didn't want to seem like a wimp and overdosed on drugs."

I quit crying. We're silent, wading knee-deep in memories.

"I think," Nico says cautiously, "we might understand each other."

When the party ends, I don't want to leave.