The Tall Tale Of Walter Axel

The man spoke in a kind manner. With a German accent he said, "How are ye boy?"

Wilbur struggled to straighten his shirt out,
"Oh-I'm good" Wilbur added.
The unfamiliar man talked as if they had known each other forever.

"Have you seen any ships passing, sir?" Wilbur asked, making direct eye contact.

"No, no, not yet" He nodded, glancing at the floor boards. The captain looked up, touching his stubbly face, "Oh I'm sorry, I'm Walter Axel, I work with the captain." Walter remarked, properly introducing himself.

Wilbur suddenly relaxed. "Nice to meet you Walter." Wilbur grinned.

"I me-mean sir" Wilbur shuddered at his mistake, looking away at the ocean.

"No..you can call me Walter young man. I don't mind a nickel." He spook with his German accent.

The man gestured Wilbur over, "I'll show you something he whispered.

The young man gestured Wilbur to follow. They walked along the creaky ship deck, Walter, letting him inside. Inside revealed the captains down time room. The room was larger than his small living quarters. And had a fresh smell to it. Walter was very excited, but somehow nervous in the interesting room.

He looked around, the walls were painted a sheer gray, and there were 3 desks lined up on the left wall, on the right wall there was a small ice cooler, and bananas.

"Why would anyone want to have gold anyway, you know you could just be rich with precious shells and jewelry, I bet the settlers would trade those for something far more precious than gold." Wilbur muttered staring into space and fumbling with a pen on the desk.

Walter scratched his chin and looked around the room as if searching for answers. But Wilbur focused on the captain. He was constantly glaring at the door.

Walter obviously wasting time, finally said, "I don't know, my son, but there's a German legend that there have been tales of gold under the Undae rocks, just off the Pacific. The gold, however, is protected by a force some call mermaids. No one has ever traveled their and made it back alive. That is, until, Cobalt came along a defied the tale, the gold is not the precious part, the island is."

I shook my head. "Mermaids, I've never heard of such thing." Wilbur stopped fumbling and looked at Walter straight in the eye.

"Have you?" The captain spook with a uneasy voice.  I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out.

Then suddenly Anthony came bursting through the door. "Walter we need you now." He said with panic and stern in him voice.

Walter rushed out in a blur, Anthony still standing there in shock. Wondering why he was in his fathers office. But he didn't have time to speak, Anthony ran out.

As Wilbur approached he instantly knew what had happened.