43 - Still

wait what is this actually an update 

-------------------------------------------

43 – Still

Luke Waters

 It wasn’t an ambush, but it felt like one.

 Dad came home from work at nine-thirty. Mom and Cas were in basement den having a Flintstones marathon so they were out of the way. Leo and I hung around near the front door (or rather, I sat in a wheelchair and he stood near the handles) and waited.

 I actually couldn’t believe it. I mean, even at that very moment, I doubted if it was all real.

 I had seen the mail in my Sent box. A mail to her. A mail to Maya, with a date stamp in December. And I had opened it.

  Maya, (so it went)

  You would have heard about the accident. I’m letting you know that I’m alive and well.

 My phone’s been destroyed, of course. Right now this is my only means of communication. I’m in the hospital right now so even this is limited, but I felt it was necessary. I’m not sure when I’m going to be discharged because my physical injuries are quite bad.

 However, other things are chaotic back home. It’s already mid-December and I’m losing the time I needed to get my stuff done, especially for college. And I need you to know certain things that I’ve been thinking about.

 I’ll come right out with it.

 I don’t think we can do this. You and I. I thought I could when I was there, but this has complicated things even further. I don’t think a long-distance relationship is what I need right now, to make things simpler. It will do both you and me good if we break this off right here instead of prolonging it. I’m sorry. I just don’t think I can handle everything at the same time right now. The doctors are saying that my full recovery will take close to three months. I have some head trauma as well, and that will anyway impact our relationship because nothing would have stayed the same. It would have been harder in a way that’s unfair to you and also in a way that’s unnecessary for me. I’ve been told to cut out the extra things, so that’s what I’m doing – right now I think I just need to focus on getting better and sending out my forms and writing my essays.

  Things have changed, and I didn’t see this coming, nobody could have, but this is what we need to do. Again, I’m sorry.

 I’ve blocked my other online accounts so please do not try to contact me that way. I hope you understand.

 And at the end there was a little ‘Sent from my iPad’ signature. I don’t even have a fucking iPad. So it wasn’t too hard for me to put two and two together.

 “I think I’ve come to terms with the fact that a kid can hate his parent and be completely justified,” I said.

 Leo’s arms were crossed, his jaw clenched.

 “I feel you, man.”

 “This is why she’s blocked me,” I say. “This fucking e-mail. I just –”

 There was a loud sound of a car door slamming. Leo uncrossed his arms.

 “It’s showtime, Mr. Waters.”

 “Are you talking to me or my dad?”

 “Both,” he mumbled. “Alright. Brace yourself. No pun intended.”