Chapter 3 ( The attack )

I woke up, panting and sighed when I saw I was in the nursery again. Leopardstar had come in her dreams! Awe widened my heart, and I puffed my chest at the thought of the brave she-cat. Then, my heart grew dark from the prophecy. Lives would be lost? Honor will be gained? What could it mean? I shook my fur and heard rustling behind me.

Softsky liftyed her head, eyes glazed with sleep. " Mosskit?" She whispered. " You alright?" I thought fast.

" Yes, mother, I'm fine." I couldn't let Softsky know about the prophecy, she couldn't tell not a single cat. This was a secret she had to keep. I looked out the nursery to see the dawn light streaming and and decided to see if the dawn patrol was there. When I padded out of the nursery, instead of seeing the dawn patrol I saw two large kits. I gaped at them, when they sat up, they loomed over me.

" Well, if it isn't Mosskit." The ginger tabby tom sneered. I frowned.

" Who are you?" I hissed. The ginger tabby flicked his tail, dismissing her hostility.

" I am Littlekit." The ginger tabby tom mewed. " This is my brother, Dustkit." Besides Littlekit a dark brown tabby tom looked at me with mocking eyes.

" I hawk could scup you up for diner!" Dustkit teased. I stiffened and hissed.

Littlekit grinned. " Aw, we made the little warrior mad." Littlekit sneered.

" You haven't just made a little warrior mad." I gasped when I saw a bigger version of Littlekit, looming over Littlekit, and Dustkit.

" Braveheart!" I breathed. The tom was the two kits father, Softsky had told me a sunrise ago and I couldn't help but look at kit and father, trying to find a difference in their looks.

" We were just teasing." Dustkit protested. Braveheart rolled his eyes and nudged them towards the nursery.

" Go back to you mother." He ordered. " She might be worried." Dustkit, and Littlekit bolted to the nursery, I purred with amusement. Braveheart could tell the two arrogant tom's to jump off the top of Hawkstar's den, and they would do it! Braveheart smiled at me and I blinked.

" Don't worry about them." He purred. " Want to go on dawn patrol?" I smiled wide and Braveheart frowned.

" To bad." He mewed. I frowned and he purred. He brushed his tail down my flank.

" Don't worry, you will be an apprentice in no time." He promised. I watched Braveheart pad away where his apprentice Cloudpaw, Reedthorn, and Redpaw sat waiting for him. He nodded and the cats followed him out of the camp.

" What are you doing out here?" I turned around to see Softsky glaring at me and Skykit, and Boulderkit yawning loudly.  I shrugged.

" Just looking." I defended myself. Softsky snorted and sat down, blocking the nursery entrance.

" Raindrop, Lightflower and their kits are sleeping. You won't wake them up, so play while you can." Boulderkit, Skykit, and I played till the sun was high and just then a patrol came back their fur on end.

Windsplash, who was sharing a piece of fresh-kill with Softsky had noticed and bolted towards them.

" What happened?" He demanded.

" We found a fox trail." Larkstream panted. " We-" She was cut off as a russet shape launched itself into the camp. It was lean, and its berry black eyes gleamed with hunger. I gasped and nudged Skykit, and Boulderkit.

" We have to get to the nursery!" I yowled. Just then the fox turned towards my litter mates and I, and it leaped onto Boulderkit. I gasped and leaped and clawed its muzzle. The fox didn't let go of Boulderkit, and the young tom squealed in pain. I clawed its eye and it opened its mouth to yowl in rage. I grabbed Boulderkit by his scuff and led him to the nursery. Skykit followed, eyes wide. By then Windsplash, Larkstream, Fernpaw, and Redpaw were fighting the fox and soon it bolted with its tail behind its legs.

Windsplash looked after with a triumph look, and then jerked his head towards Boulderkit.

" Swiftfoot!" Softsky yowled. She raced to Boulderkit's side and started licking his wound. Blood spilled out of the little tom's belly and his eyes were staring in the distance. He was panting, and shaking badly.

A black and white tom sprinted towards us with herbs in his mouth and placed them in front of his paws. He felt Boulderkit, and after a moment everything was silent.

" I'm sorry, Softsky." Swiftfoot whispered, looking at his paws. " Boulderkit is dead." I gasped and dug my tiny claws into the ground. I never knew that this morning would be the last time I played with Boulderkit, and know he was dead. I looked at Boulderkit and he was no longer breathing, and his eyes were glazed, staring at nothing.

Softsky whimpered and pressed herself against Windsplash. The deputy looked at his only son, his eyes narrowed and shoulders hunched. Skykit was shaking her head in disbelief and I pressed against her side, trying to reassure her.

" I'm so sorry," I slowly turned my head to see Hawkstar looking at Boulderkit, his eyes glazed. " No kit should die like that." He whispered. I didn't respond, just continued looking at Boulderkit's limp body.

Then, I heard a whisper.

" This is only the beginning Mosskit, watch your back."  I stranded my ears to hear if it said anymore, but all I could hear after that was the wind.