one

Everyone came. Everyone, including Britney Marx, who was Jacob's baby momma. She moved to New York three years ago and never returned to D.C. until today. Well, that was to my knowledge. She could've been hiding all of this time and kept her promise to never see Jacob again. Unfortunately, this is the day of Jacob's funeral.

As I stood in my position in the front row listening to the kind words Jacob's absent mom had to say about his life, I felt the presence of a figure towering over my shoulder. My intertwined hands grew clammy as I heard Jacob being described as a loving father to his two-year-old daughter. Lies. Lies were all being told. If Britney could tell it, Jacob was a deadbeat to his own blood by choice. But that wasn't the case either.

"Let's celebrate the wonderful life Jacob lived with his best friend, Alana. Alana, would you like to speak?" My head snapped in the direction of Jacob's mom in front of me as she and some others stared directly at me.

My hands started trembling as I put my head down as tears fell from my eyes.

"It's okay, Jacob is watching over you now and only wanted the best for you. He wouldn't want you crying right now. He'd want you to be smiling," Jacob's mom's delicate voice attempted to assure me as I wiped the tears from my face with my fingertips. I'm sure I've smeared my eyeliner, eyebrow, and eyeshadow due to me wiping my face carelessly with my whole hand. I'm sure I looked a mess right now.

Jacob's mom's words were true though. Jacob was the type who despised those who cried. He was not for the whole 'crying makes you feel better' type of ordeal. In addition, Jacob would enjoy these lies being told right now. He was the type who let people believe whatever they wanted and didn't care to correct them. He believed only the people close to him should know the truth and if you didn't you weren't special in his life.

Just as I took a step forward, feeling pressured to speak, I felt a cold arm on my shoulder. The sheer cardigan I had over my black dress was not enough to be a barrier against the chill winds ripping through the air. It seems as if the air and cold winds picked up once I decided to speak on behalf of Jacob's life. I was the only one here who could provide the real facts about the life he lived.

"It's okay, Jacob wouldn't even want you to speak." The mysterious guy told me. "You know he'd prefer for people to believe what they wanted." He spoke in my ear as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder comforting me.

The thing I immediately thought of was how did this guy, who's voice I didn't recognize, knew so much about Jacob's character.

"There's only two people in this world who knew about Jacob and the life he lived." He paused as he took a deep breath. "Me and you," he told me. "He called you bunny right?" He asked as I turned my head quickly to look up at him.

I thought I was the only one who knew that Jacob called me bunny. Who could this man be?

In this gloomy weather, perfect for a funeral, I noticed the man's smooth brown skin. His mesmerizing dark brown eyes stared back at me as I took in all of his facial features. His rather large, flat nose flared multiple times as I stared up at this guy. He had a few wrinkles above his cheek bones and bushy eyebrows that were strangely spaced apart. Just as I took one more look over his face, he smiled randomly as I admired the dimples he had in both cheeks and his somewhat straight pearly white teeth.

"Who are you?" I finally asked as he squeezed my shoulder lightly in response to me asking him that question.

"My name's Carter. But you can call me Carti like everyone else. I prefer Carti" he flashed his smile again widely.

"Carter," I spoke. "I've never heard of you." I whispered this time as Jacob's baby momma, Britney, went up to speak.

"Yeah, well." I cut him off by putting my finger up to his lips indicating that he should be quiet.

"It saddens me today that I have to be here. I haven't been in D.C. for about three years and the first time I'm back is to celebrate the death of the guy I was in love with for ten years." She spoke which angered me.

"The guy," I scoffed mocking her words. "Jacob! Say his name, you hoe!" I raised my voice a little as others heard me and directed their attention to me.

Carter placed his hands from behind on my waist, so that I couldn't move.

"Do you have something to say, Alana?" Britney asked me with a smug look on her face.

I wanted to smack that look off her face so bad. I wanted to grab her by her extensions and bang her head repeatedly into a rock. But at the same time, I didn't want to physically harm her. She didn't deserve it. But she deserved something for causing all of the trouble in Jacob's life.

"Matter of fact," I was cut off by Carter putting his hands over my mouth as I tried to get out of his grasp.

Jacob must have described my attitude and my history with Britney, so he was prepared. After I stopped fighting his hold, he turned my body around and directed us away from the gathering.

"It's not the right time," he told me as I continued walking as his hands were still on my waist. "You know what Jacob would be wanting us to do right now?" He asked me.

I nodded my head. "Getting lit" we both said in unison.

'Getting lit' as Jacob described partying, was his favorite and he made it clear that he wanted his funeral to be as lit as possible but no one else knows that but Carter and I. Thinking of that together, I still want to know how Carter knew Jacob because Jacob never spoke of Carter to me.

"So, I'm curious." I spoke as we finally reached the main road and continued to walk with no destination. "How did you know Jacob?" I asked.

"It's a long story." He told me as he finally released my waist allowing me to walk freely.

"And all we have is time." I pressured.

Carter took a few deep breaths and continued walking without saying a word.

"In due time," he said. "You'll learn why he hasn't told you about me when the time's right."

"Ok," I nodded my head.

___

Feedback? 👀