Fins For You

1

     I pulled deeply on the water, flushing it through my gills, savoring the sharp kindling of glorious oxygen through my blood. I’d need it all, everything I could take from the water, while pressed against this rock. We were on the hunt. Our prey was both cunning, and ferocious. And much, much larger than us.

     The promise of impending hunt set my blood to boil. How I lived for this! This was as a part of me as my own scales. But I was fidgety today, unfocused. I’d need to rid myself of this raw current of energy, before it distracted me any farther. The lighted fin flick to my left caught my eye and I turned to see Fararay, my sister, watching me.

     Her eyes burned through me like hot water. Softly, ever so softly, she flashed Stop. Then turned her gaze back to the wide expanse of water. She took liberties as my elder sister that few others dared, correcting me when she wanted, dismissing my orders when she thought better. I hated when she did it, I hated it even more when she was correct.

     I had a few, hard earned fin-lengths in our society, leader of the Royal Hunting Party, the youngest Member of the Court, and champion of my own harem. Others knew to respect me. I rotated my spear in my hand, its beading and weight both comforting and familiar. Soothing the anxious warrior in me.

     I looked over to Caysel, my chosen, my Prince. His sharp gaze was on the dark rock pass. How I loved that set of fins. He was noble, strong and true. Fully and totally worthy of my love and life. How lucky was I? I saw the light of excitement in his eyes, the taught strength to his muscles. Our quarry had arrived.

     Through the clear water the large orca swam alone, following the lighted squid as they fled from the deep rock trench from the south. Perfect. Just as we had planned. The black and white predator was lean and healthy. And would make a fine specimen for tonight’s ceremony.

     Swimming so close to the surface would be a hindrance for us, the warmer water hurt our nerve endings, and changed our agility. More and more of the large blackfish were suddenly having this talent. It would be a hindrance, but we were strong enough to adapt to it. I pulled on the water again. This was a powerful foe. Not even our electricity advantage would matter.

     I lit my tail red, and flashed twice, Ready. Watching for my team to respond, out of the corner of my eye. The four, Caysel, Fararay, Taeles and Stensle responded immediately. We, like the Five Mountains, were one. One unit, skilled and gifted. The Royal Hunting Team, we always brought home our target. This particular day, we also included Drense, and Quihy. My sister and I would soon retire from the hunt, and these two were the tournament winners, our replacements. They responded, but much later than the others. They would need to get better about that.

     Dipping over the ridge, we swam towards the large whale, on our backs, letting our white stomachs blend into the white sand below us. Rising up from the ocean floor like the swirling arms of the jelly octopus, we flashed the migratory call of the lighted squid. I took the farthest arm, as did Caysel. Our spears were still hidden behind us until the very last moment, when the orca’s eyesight recognized our forms.

     Caysel and I simultaneously lit our tails bright, solid red. The four other tails luminessed, allowing us to know friend from foe. And turned into our tiger shark formation. Three underneath, and two -well four- above. Spears drawn, we resembled the snapping jaws of the creature this was named for.

     The vertical movement confused the whale and we had three good bleeding lines in its flesh before it remembered it could out swim us. As it dashed away, the sixty plus punctures weakened it incredibly, losing copious amounts of blood behind it. Through the reddened water we swam, reengaging quickly. It couldn’t dive properly, so it headed for the surface, away from us. Quihy managed a good, solid diagonal slice to its left fluke, slowing it considerably. We were winning.

     I took the long amounts of kelp rope off of my body and fashioned a messy catch while swimming at top speed. Fararay, fully knowing my intention, took the edge and we darted past the fleeing monster, and held it open. It the space of two bubbles colliding, we snapped it open just before it reached us. It hit the catch and kept going. The team was at once there. Everyone held an edge and struggled against the powerful orca. It screeched and shouted, deafening us and making my gills grate together.

     Caysel let the rope go, and dove down, disappearing beneath the thrashing fins. I watched as he struck the shark teeth-tipped whale bone spear deep into the whale’s belly and straight into its heart. The great beast struggled for only a few more moments before it fell silent. Caysel emerged, the oily whale blood covering him, holding the large heart above his head. He let lose the Death cry, exalted from his victory. He tore into the large muscle, taking the Hunter’s price as we answered him. He pieced the remaining organ and shared in the glory. 

     The catch dipped, and the five of us struggled to hold its weight. Caysel relieved me, and I faced the lifeless carcass from below. It was my turn. Taking my long dagger out, I split the whale from jaw point to tail. I quickly gutted it, carving out the intestines, stomach, swim bladder, kidneys, bladder, lungs, and two of the large fat deposits, letting it for the bull sharks. This was their territory. They wouldn’t follow if we left tribute.

     The carcass was completely bled, and we turned to home, our quest complete. The whale was for The Quickening Ceremony. Which was tonight, and the water was electric with anticipation. This was the time our species went into season. It only happened once every three years, and was quite a complex event.

     I held my tail colorless, as we swam, but I could find no calm. The sated huntress could not overthrow the nervous second-seasoness. How terrible it was to be so torn. I was positively sparking with anxiety.

     Caysel tugged suggestively at my fins. Tonight, after long last, my chosen would be my sealed Quickened. I let him hold my tail, even if it impeded my swimming. This was a culmination of my nineteen long seasons, and hard work. This was also my last hunt, for two full years. Once I had a quilth of my own, I could no longer hunt.

     But it was an easy price to pay. I would have Caysel, my love.