Chapter 2

2

“Will you bring me back some liver?” Farasiy asked from behind her rock wall. Only her outstretched hand was visible. Fararay had done an exceedingly thorough job bricking our youngest sister into her tomb, much better than last season, and it had held both of us.

“Yes.” Fararay answered, shoving Sissifus, the family octopus, into the clamshell sized opening. “Now hush. Do you need anything?” 

This was Farasiy’s first fertile season, finally reaching the stage of Adulthood. Yet, even so, she was not allowed to participate. Her young body was not prepared to withstand the Quickening. The quilth born to first seasons often died, or were so weak they were picked off by predators within the first two years of life. As her sisters, it was our duty to keep her protected and secure, and away from the Quickening.

The wall was meant to keep the seasoning males away from her, and Sissifus was there to keep her in. She could Quicken next season, until then, she’d have to stay entombed for 48 hours.

Last season, I was bricked in as well. This was my first allowable Quickening and I was almost vibrating in nerves and excitement. This was also my first true season as harem leader. I’d taken over for Fararay. She’d abandoned her post, when last season’s quilth had been eaten by a shark.

By taking her Dominance, I saved the others and us from the terrible fate of a dissolved harem. The unaffiliated swam on the lowest tide in our kingdom. There had been a lot of mistakes last year, we almost lost our ranking. But my girls remained close to me, perpetuating my title. We worked together, triumphing over the almost-embarrassment of Fararay. This year, it was mine from the beginning.

We’d also gained two new females, Ciasse, my close friend, and Embris, a new member fleeing her old harem. We were six in number, counting only Quickens, and they were all looking to me. For strength, and survival. The only true security was in a harem. They were my responsibility, our mutual wellbeing rested on me. If I was successful, we would thrive. If I failed, it would be disastrous.

“Farabee.” My sister snapped at me. “Are you ready to meet at the rally point?”

“Almost.” I said, grabbing the six seaweed rope lengths, handing her one. They were our symbolic harem affiliation marks. Our mark was the Double Starfish Double Pearl. I had made these last night. I handed her one, and tied my own on my left wrist. Was I forgetting anything? I was a little overwhelmed, but it was time to go.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Our rally point was the base of the arrow rock. We were close to the Challenge Circle, Officiate bench, and Whale. Also, with the steep rock face behind us, and its craggy formation jutting out to our right, we would only have to deal with two other harems. Very, very good.

Fararay and I met my girls and I handed out the brands, hearing their excited calls. I was proud, some of my anxiety left, but only the smallest breadth. I still had many more hours to go. And then the real work started.

In front of us, were the Red Rock Half Pearl harem, acquaintances of ours, but they were not of the same depth level as we were. Two of their members had asked for inclusion into my harem. As they were asking only to harem skip, and try to improve their social status, I denied their request. I couldn’t support more than I already had, and I wasn’t risking us for their changing tides.

Beside us, squashed in between the challenge circle and the rock formation, was the Coral Seahorse. They had dropped down to only two members, down from four. Unless they gained a strong Quickener, they might not make it to next season’s ceremony.

Those who had not gained acceptance into a harem would either hope to gain quick admittance now, or slowly die. The younger girls, often First-Seasoners lacking someone to entomb them, or those who had been abandoned, were always on the short list. Their dull scales, and downcast, empty eyes prophesied their fate, as they swam from clutch to clutch, begging. They knew they were already dead.

Ciasse arrived carrying Embris in her down wash. They held their tails at the low, steady red of non challenge. We would create the affiliation pattern later. Away from the others.

“This is a good spot.” Embris said, surveying the field.

“Thank you.” I said, watching her look for her old harem. I didn’t know her very well, but accepted her on Ciasse’s behalf. She’d petitioned me to include her, and I trusted Ciasse. Trusted her judgment.

Fararay affixed the affiliation charms about the girls’ throats. They would remain there until after the Quickening. Once we were Sealed, and Flashed, they would move to our fins.

“Couldn’t we accept just one?” Ciasse asked, pointing out to the wanderers.

“No, and you know the reasons. Don’t look them in the eye.” I said, crossing my arms. “Then they will linger.” Our six would blossom with the addition of our younger sister, Embris’s twin sons, Caysel’s two young siblings, and a Second, if I was crazy enough to accept him. That was quickly becoming an impossible number.

“We will accept no more.” I repeated, leaving for the Officiate.

“Name?”

“Farabee, of the Double Starfish Double Pearl.”

“Number of Quickens?”

“Six, Fararay, Embris, Ciasse, Drieske, Krielli.”

He scribed our names into the Gilded Book. We were official. A shudder slid down my spine. He wrote our call number four times, then tore the page and handed me half. “Done.”

I swam to the Dispenser, tearing my number in half. “I claim my Nutrition Right.”

He took his long Ceremonial blade and waited.

“Oh!” I said, flattered I could ask for our portions of the whale. “Liver, collar, fluke, and kidney.” These would provide specific nutrients to give the best start to our future offspring.

He carved out nice large chunks, setting them on a large silver platter. He was giving us more than our allotted share. I would have to pay for that. I pulled my small sharkskin knife, my necklace, and my left fin charm, placing them on the stone table.

He nodded, accepting the bribe.

“And for some cartilage?” I pulled off my jeweled headband.

His knife carved deep.

“Perfect.” I flashed for Fararay to help carry this back. She’d see me before anyone else would.

The Officiate sounded the Calling Shell. My upper stomach rose into my throat. The ceremony was about to begin. Our prominence would hopefully carry us into the first round. I don’t think my nerves would last passed the first round.

The males trumpeted, answering the Call. They encircled our gathering, tying the security ropes up. Protecting us from predators, we would be safe for the rest of the night. They streamed in, a wash of masculinity and power. I caught sight of Caysel, my beloved. It was now. My anticipation sparked like an eel.