Dead Inside

So sorry I haven't been able to get on this, guys. I'm doing the best I can with all my school work and clubs and things. I know you guys have been really anxious for this, so here's the next chapter. Probably only one or two more chapters to go! Enjoy!

—————————

Pfft. You're an idiot. If I died tomorrow, I hope you'd lock yourself in the dojo and meditate for three days straight.

It was a morbid statement, as occasionally escaped Raphael. It had made Leonardo so uncomfortable he had not answered. Now, it echoed in his mind.

Raph...

Lock yourself in the dojo and meditate three days straight...

Leo screwed his eyes shut, clenched his fists, and took a deep breath. Slowly, he looked up. "I'm sorry, brother. I have to do this."

He continued down the sewer tunnels, slowing a little. Glancing down at his reflection in the sewer water, he started. It was Raphael's face: stern and disapproving. He sighed.

"I know, you're mad at me, but I can't let Father sacrifice himself for us. I won't lose any more of my little brothers."

He could practically hear his brother's reply:

Getting yourself killed won't help anyone.

"I have to do something."

Comfort our brothers. Support them. They need you—

"You were always better at that than I was."

Liar.

"He killed you. He took you from us."

The imaginary image of Raphael's eyes narrowed.

There's nothing you can do about that now.

"He deserves to die."

Not your call.

"He fractured my family!" Leo shouted, the echo traveling down the tunnels.

And? Still not your call. You're better than this.

"Better than what? You?"

Yes! Stop acting like me and think about you!

"He killed you!"

Think about our brothers!

Leonardo kicked the water and dispelled the image, his heart breaking inside. He shook it off, told himself it was all his imagination. Still, as he stalked through the sewers, he muttered, "I am."

————————

Slash and the Mighty Mutanimals burst into the turtle lair sans preamble. They looked around. The turtles were nowhere to be seen. Slash's pulse quickened. If they weren't here then where...

"Slash," a deep, mature voice greeted.

They whirled around to face Master Splinter. Slash nodded respectfully to the old rat.

"Where are my sons?"

Concern twisted Slash's face. "I was hoping you would know."

Splinter's tail flicked and his ears twitched. The action made Slash squirm. Obviously, the ninja master was concerned. Where could the turtles have gone? Why wouldn't they tell Splinter?

There were plenty of possible outcomes, and the most probable of them sent a frost breath down Slash's carapace.

Straightening powerfully, Splinter stroked his beard. "I should have gone sooner. I feared something like this would occur."