Chapter 4: Dramatic Entrance

By night time, the hundreds of electronic billboards hanging on the towering buildings in the North District had came to life, bathing the streets of the city with bright assortment of colours as they broadcasted various advertisements and news. Some of them just displayed the current date, time, and current temperature. It was 11:13 PM of February 24th, and it was 22 degree outside.

It was already late. Tokine was not surprised that the café had already closed at this hour. If the sign hanging on the doors that wrote the word "Sorry, We're Closed" in black cursive was not enough for a hint, then the dark windows and dead silence were. She gave a sigh of relief. Since it was near midnight, Tokine only stumbled into four groups of pedestrians when she was walking here. All of them gave a curious glance at the emptied cup and bowl she was carrying in one hand. She paid them no mind; this afternoon was even more awkward for her anyway.

Tokine looked to her right and left. Seeing no one else on the pavement, she lowered down on one knee and placed the bowl and cup right in front of the café doors.

"Next time, try not to add too much flour," Tokine mumbled after breathing out a sigh. Then she stood up, glancing left and right to make sure that there were no vehicles or pedestrians approaching before hastily crossing the road.

XXX

The billboards were much brighter and noisier in the District Square. The voices of men and women, yelling out from the colourful screens so loudly that Tokine could barely hear herself thinking. A digital clock hanging on one of the larger buildings was displaying '11:52PM' in blue neon. Eight minutes left to midnight.

The city square of North District was an unusual design; a very wide hardscape that was built on an island of a three-lane roundabout. Like all the ground-level sections of the District, there were no greeneries. The island was entirely paved with sand coloured stone tiles, decorated with silver-painted lamp posts, some vending machines that sell drinks and light snacks, and two digital notice boards that could display the map of Starshore City. A few small stalls and kiosks had been set up around the island, but they were already closed for the night. At the centre of the island, there was a large fountain with crystal clear water, illuminated by lime green lights, sprouting out from different directions, forming an artistic pattern around the marble basin in which they jet out from.

There were no vehicles passing through the Square tonight, and only a few people were left hanging around at this late hour. Just when she thought she would have lesser attention for the night, Tokine spotted two police officers patrolling the Square individually. Although both of them were too far to notice her, Tokine did not want to take any chance. Lowering her head until her eyes met the front of her sneakers, she walked towards the fountain. There were others sitting around the fountain as well, but most of them had their attentions on their friends or partners, or even the mobile devices in their hands. None turned their eyes on Tokine as she approached, much to her relief. Picking the most secluded spot she could find, Tokine brushed her gloved hand on the marble slab of the fountain. It felt cold, but dry enough for her shorts. She sat down and let her muscles relaxed.

Sitting by the fountain felt rather peaceful, with the sound of the water jets slightly muffling the noises from the billboards. Tokine looked up into the night sky. There were no clouds visible, only the twinkling stars and the white full moon that lightened the sea of black were present. It was a rare and beautiful sight to behold.

The last time Tokine had seen a view like this; it was from the window of her bedroom.

As she was appreciating the temporary peace, a sudden shiver crawled up her spine, and her body stiffened in alarm. Something warm and rough was brushing against her legs. Looking down at her feet, she saw only her black sneakers and the cold sand tiles. Although for a moment there, she caught a glimpse of something wispy slithering within the shadows under her.