Love Me, Leave Me, Left Me Numb

Amber's POV:

A sharp breath was trapped in my lungs, reluctant to come out. A congress of people clamored through each other, careful to avoid eye contact with the surrounding offenders.

You can do this.

Not very different from Valfort at all, Los Angeles just had taller buildings with more people who apparently had taller egos. It was only 2 hours and 32 minutes away from Valfort (not that I was counting) and most of that was because of the overwhelming traffic here. It made me miss my home a little and -- No. This was my sweet escape, no more thinking about that place or the people in it.

Water glazed immediately over my delicate brown eyes at the thought of it.

Not today, not right now. This is my escape.

Repetition rung in my head like an infinite mantra until a swift stranger's shove pushed me back into reality and back on the way to my destination. The crowd was making me slightly claustrophobic and irritated, so a veil of relief clung to my body when I had found the correct (hopefully) towering apartment building.

The lobby was neat, but the people were not; figures of rushed industrials focused on their Iphones: calling the office, sending emails, and even a stubby man hollering loudly about the rent. My once restored relief washed out from under me when I reached the silver elevator with a sign posted that read: Out Of Order We're sorry for the inconvenience.

An low groan hissed off my lips as I headed for the stairs.

What an escape this was

I reminded myself that it was only 2 floors up then I could relax and enjoy my weekend away.

As I approached the door to 12B I took in my surroundings. The hallways were shaded with a deep green lined with white. A mother and her minuscule child waited impatiently outside of a different door on the other side of the hallway. I wonder if they got locked out or were waiting for someone? Maybe they were secret agents on a top secret mission to infiltrate-- focus Amber, we need this.

My fist gently and cautiously knocked at the door.

I treaded carefully "Uhh Serenity if you're in there it's--"

"AMBER!" The vivacious woman screeched, a mauve toothbrush hanging loosely out of her mouth; Toothpaste quickly oozed down her chin, but that didn't stop her from pulling me into an unbearably tight hug.

"Uh hi" I weakly stated, out of breath "Can you let go? I can't breathe". She dropped her arms and continued to brush her teeth.

"Sorry I thought you weren't gonna show up for another hour? Wow you must have gotten through traffic so quickly, which is good because I was just about to head off to work, but we can get a drink after my shift." She paused for a scarce moment to spit then continued, "I wanna show you my beautiful city. Yes it's my city, I own it but now you can own it for this weekend with me. Also I guess you'll need a key, but I only have mine so can you ask the manager for a spare to apartment 12B? Tell him he owes me from last time. Oh and Amber--"

"Yeah?" I responded almost as quickly as she was speaking, just to test if the air had enough oxygen left for me.

"I'm honestly so glad you're here, I need some girl time ever since James I--" Serenity stopped abruptly, looked down at the wooden floor for 1/5 a second. She almost looked vulnerable. Almost. Her eyes shifted rapidly to the charcoal counter. "My keys!" She exclaimed, pulling her out of her once susceptible state as if it never had happened. She jammed the keys into her ruby coat pocket, dropped her toothbrush into the kitchen sink and wiped her mouth from excess spit with her beautiful jacket. What did the jacket do to deserve that? "Okay I'll text you after my waitressing shift and then I'll tell you everything!" Everything? That could take days! Her body surged with excitement, then before I knew it, she was gone, "Bye!" 

"Wow." I huffed.

A short nap and a few thousand scrolls through Instagram my phone finally buzzed. Bzzz

"It must be Serenity, that means drinks, and I could use one," I thought out loud.

The text was from : "Mom"

My heart stopped for too many beats. I gulped hard to help me regain my composure. I didn't have the courage to open the text, I couldn't. I wouldn't. But I should. My finger slightly trembled as I went to click the message.

The door flew open. I jumped off of the couch and felt like I landed in heaven."I'M BACK, COME ON, I HAVE SOOOOO MUCH TO SHOW YOU!" Serenity sang loudly.

Saved by the bell. "Let's Go."

Author's Note: I know it starts off a little slow, but I wanted to create a good foundation to build up on. I hope you all enjoy :)

*I create 1-2 new chapters everyday

*Each chapter title is a lyric/song title from R5

*SPOILER ALERT: you'll meet Ross and Rocky in the next chapter ;)